Will this work?

Started by Hook, January 04, 2014, 08:28:36 AM

Hook

So this guy on craigslist want's $25 for a Yamaha YDD 35

& I'm planning on buying it. My intentions are 2 fold...

1) I'll plug the YDD 35 into my YDD 60 going from the 35's headphone jack into the 60's line in. I'll use the extra 4 pads for some extra cymbal sounds, perhaps cowbell, chimes, etc. Then going out from the 60 into the MR8 thus expanding my kit. Will this work?

2) It also runs on batteries so I can have it in Chrysler 300 Studios.

I do think that the 35 looks a bit more toy like than the 60 but I'm hoping this works. I'll need to figure out a stand, I can't see a pic of the backside but I suspect a standard snare stand won't work like it does for the 60. Any opinions would be great.
Thanks!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

64Guitars

Quote from: Hook on January 04, 2014, 08:28:36 AM1) I'll plug the YDD 35 into my YDD 60 going from the 35's headphone jack into the 60's line in. I'll use the extra 4 pads for some extra cymbal sounds, perhaps cowbell, chimes, etc. Then going out from the 60 into the MR8 thus expanding my kit. Will this work?

It should work. However, you won't be able to use the DD-35's pads to trigger sounds in the YDD-60. To do that, you'd need MIDI and the DD-35 doesn't have MIDI. So you'd be simply mixing the sounds produced by the DD-35 with the sounds produced by the YDD-60 and recording that mixed signal.

If you want more pads to play the sounds from the YDD-60, then you'd need a pad controller that can send MIDI, such as the Alesis PercPad or PerformancePad. You'd run a standard MIDI cable from the MIDI Out of the Alesis to the MIDI In of the YDD-60. Then you'd set the pads on the Alesis to send the appropriate note number to trigger the desired drum sound on the YDD-60 (see pages 48-51 of the YDD-60 manual).
recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Hook

Thanks 64, I do know that I'll only have access to the 35's sound bank & that's fine for me. I almost bought a used percpad for $40 but it surprisingly doesn't run on batteries so I just couldn't justify the buy. Hopefully the sounds will be quality on the 35.
Rock On!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely