HEEEELP! But probably nothing you can do, damn BR800 heading out the window

Started by Ferryman, December 16, 2013, 06:55:53 PM

64Guitars

Quote from: cuthbert on December 19, 2013, 10:25:07 AMYou're not alone there - I also can't bear to post anything until I consider it done. For me, that also means I have several pieces that I started and never finished. Guess I can look at those experiments as a backlog in the event that I can't find something else to do. :)

I'm the same. I have lots of song projects I started and never finished. I like to spend a lot of time on a project to get it right. The trouble is, if I take too long, I often end up starting a new song that I get interested in. Once that happens, it's very unlikely that I'll ever return to the old song, so it sits unfinished forever.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Ferryman

Well, I'm making progress but the BR800 is acting really weird. Tracks 5/6 have now disabled themselves after deciding to delete something I had recorded running an A:B loop. Cannot get them to play or record. Other tracks seem to be working fine. Just need to record a couple of things then everything gets pulled into the DAW .......

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Ferryman

Quote from: 64Guitars on December 19, 2013, 11:48:38 AMI'm the same. I have lots of song projects I started and never finished. I like to spend a lot of time on a project to get it right. The trouble is, if I take too long, I often end up starting a new song that I get interested in. Once that happens, it's very unlikely that I'll ever return to the old song, so it sits unfinished forever.

Yup, that's my world. But what is even worse I keep wanting to go back to things I have already done and try to improve them, so I have a bunch of half finished reworks of existing stuff as well (hello Demoiselle D'Ys, I know you are calling me.....)

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Oldrottenhead

Demoiselle D'Ys is probably my favourite song on this site, and i know a power of work went into creating it. however i would love you to dig up the 17 year old punk inside of you... your very own rikki nadir persay. and go punk for once..........i know it would be awesome.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Hook

Nigel, I do think your entirely to critical, your recordings are incredible & Demoiselle D'Ys is also one of my favorites. I approach all this more as a songwriter & less of a producer even though I do think I'm expanding my production skills, especially in the last 2 years. But I mainly want to get the song down & then add until I can offer it no more. I don't ever expect perfection just another song & that makes it easier to call it finished & move on. Perhaps I should be a little more critical & take a little more time but I just can't wait to see what's next!

Concerning the track corruption issue I do think that this is the biggest weakness in the the BR line. I had countless drive busy errors with the 900 & card read errors on the MBR. You have to optimize like has been said before & I when I found myself messing up takes and starting again over & over, I had to remember to just erase the whole damn track every 5 or 6 attempts to avoid corrupting a track & locking up the drive. I have had no error issues at all on the MR8 but it has no virtual tracks either (not sure hat matters though). I would like to now how the zoom R16(24)  handles it tempts me often!
I do hope to hear this tune at some point!
Rock On!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

AndyR

I've been following this one in "lurk" mode. I am SO pleased it's worked out OK :)

And yeah, I'm with you and others on the "nothing gets posted til I say it's finished" approach...

I can understand the other point of view, the "hey! this is great... ok, it's not finished, but let's bang a version out and see what people think..." - I've even given in to it and done it myself at least once.

But I find that there's quite a high price to pay afterwards if you post it before you feel done (for me, certainly, anyway):

First, all motivation/drive to get the thing finished (nearer to the original vision you had imagined) disappears the minute you "publish" it to anyone.

Second, even if you do finish it, you know that you've undermined the effect/impact that the finished version could have had if this was the first time anyone heard it.

Lastly, because you don't finish it, you always know what it could have sounded like, and it sits there, damaged, and accusing you for all time :D
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Ferryman

OK an update here. I have resurrected the track and got back everything except one stereo track recording of a bass line. I think I may be able to get that back, if not will have to be recorded again. I've added a few final tracks so am now ready for mixing once I have this final bass line restored or re-recorded.

So here's the weird thing. The corrupted song file (.BR0) is 538 meg, yes you heard it right. Don't know how that happened but it seems pretty darned big.......

Hopefully I may be able to post something later this week.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Ted

This is the most exciting and suspenseful thing I've read in a long, long time.

I look forward to hearing the results of this nail-biter.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Ferryman

Thanks Ted, don't get too excited, it's a bit of a dirge but there's some fun noises going on in there.

The weirdest thing is happening with the "corrupted" data. I load it into a freshly formatted SD card, the particular track I am looking for plays on the second time of playing but on subsequent plays something different plays on the same v-tracks. Everytime I playback, the BR800 changes the tempo setting as well without me doing anything. Crazy stuff.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Ferryman

So even weirder, I have recorded a stereo bass track on tracks 5&6, v-track2. When I play this track from the start, I hear the bass part I want to hear. If I do anything else than play it from the start (eg use the transport to move through the track and then start playing it), I get audio of a different bass part! Absolute madness!

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR