HEEEELP! But probably nothing you can do, damn BR800 heading out the window

Started by Ferryman, December 16, 2013, 06:55:53 PM

64Guitars

Quote from: Ferryman on December 17, 2013, 04:12:29 AMThe issue seems to be pretty fundamental. When I try to backup the song file it says the main TAK_DAT.BR0 file is corrupted. Wave converter cannot display any of the track info, the song shows in the list of songs but when I try to open it the Wave Converter says "Cannot read song" so I cannot even export some of the track data.

But all of those things could be because the BR-800 can't read the card. That doesn't necessarily mean the card isn't readable. It could be that the card isn't making very good contact in the slot due to oxidation or other contamination of the contacts. Try removing the card, blowing into the slot to clear any dust or whatever, then re-inserting the card. It's also possible that something has failed in the BR and it needs repair, though I think that's unlikely. The best test is to put the card in a separate card reader and see if the computer can copy the files and the BR Wave Converter can convert them. If that works, then just get a new card, initialize it, and restore the backup to it. You will probably then be able to carry on with the project right where you left it, without having to do any WAV conversions. But if you still have problems with the restored song, then you'll have to create a new song project and import the WAV files to it which you created from the backup with the BR Wave Converter.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

64Guitars

Quote from: Ferryman on December 17, 2013, 04:41:05 AMIt's looking increasingly like it could be the BR 800. Looking at prices of the Zoom R16 right now.....

It's possible that the BR-800 has a problem but I doubt it. Card read errors are usually due to a bad memory card or a bad contact that's preventing the BR from reading the card reliably. So, even if you can't rescue your song, try a new card in the BR-800 and make some recordings on it. It will probably work just fine, in which case there's no need to buy a new recorder or get the BR-800 repaired because there's nothing wrong with it.

It's also possible that the card is still okay but its contents have been corrupted due to errors. If that's the case, you can simply initialize the card and continue using it. But don't do that until you've tried everything possible to get your song off the card and restored to another card.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Ferryman

We shall see. I have a card reader now so will try later. Still liking the look of the Zoom R16 anyway... Or might just go USB into DAW in future as I use the DAW for final mixing now.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Ferryman

Well I tried everything, the track is corrupted. Over two months work lost. Cannot be repeated, it was all based around one-off effects created as I was laying the tracks down (like running bass fuzz on my Zoom B3 into guitar fuzz on the BR and then into a mini Kaoss pad). Some incredibly weird stuff.

Effing thing! Will be giving the creative process a rest for a while and looking at alternatives. I've been using a DAW more, this may be convincing me to drop the BR altogether. 

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

cuthbert

Man, sorry to hear that Nigel! Losing that much work really sucks. I wonder if it's the BR itself, or maybe some bad sectors on the SD card?

I just got the BR-800, but haven't put much time into it yet. But now I'm going to try to cultivate the habit of backing the card up regularly.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Ferryman

Backup regularly. Those words will haunt me forever. Bassfest is dead for me.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

T.C. Elliott

Have you tried the memory card recovery programs (as was mentioned earlier?) Might be worth a shot. Google them and make sure you google the reviews. I see a couple with a free trial period. Might be worth a shot, but I'd make sure to read reviews of any program before I download it... especially if I'm unfamiliar with it. But it might be worth the trouble.
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

Oldrottenhead

i rescued tracks from a corrupted sd card with one of those programmes but for the life of me i cant recall what it was called.
i had used 8 tracks and managed to recover 7 of them, one track was corrupted and was causing similar problems to yours.
this link might help http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9224577/6_data_recovery_tools_for_SD_cards_USB_drives_and_more
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Ferryman

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Geir

Let's hope the recovery tools will give us the magic music you've made. Or have we already heard it ?? was it a bassfest cover of "the Autumn song"? ??? ::)

Seriously, I hope it will work.

And about the BR800. Have you tried it with another card yet? And if you haven't upgraded the firmware to the last version, maybe you should try that, before tossing it out the window?

Quote from: Ferryman on December 17, 2013, 04:12:29 AMBTW, was that your 10,000th post Geir? If so I am honoured!!!
Indeed it was. I was saving my 10,000th for something special, and when your problem came along it seemed only fitting, as the sole reason for me being here at all is that I got "CARD READ ERROR" on my MBR and searched for a solution, thus stumbling onto this wonderful part of the web.
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........