HEEEELP! But probably nothing you can do, damn BR800 heading out the window

Started by Ferryman, December 16, 2013, 06:55:53 PM

Ferryman

Oh dear. I have spent about 2.5 months working on and off on a track for Bassfest. Those of you that know me know that I take a long, long time to do anything. Anyway, I had hit a bit of a block but over the last week a few late night sessions have got the final 5 or 6 tracks of bass recorded. I got to the point on Sunday night when I went right, that's it, no more tracks, finished (only about 20 tracks on this song). Turned off the BR800 and went contentedly to bed.

Came back Monday morning and turned on the BR800 only to get "Card Read Error". Did a bit of reading here and thought it's probably not the end of the world, let's back the files up to the PC, delete some old songs to clear some space and perhaps that will work. Deleted 500 meg worth of song files but still getting card read error. OK I thought, let's use BR Wave Converter to extract the wav filles for my song. Got that fired up, and found I could access every song .....except the new one I have spent over two months working on!!!!! Cannot read the song in Wave Converter, it looks like that song is corrupted.

Anyone got any ideas? I don't think there's anything else that can be done if the song files are corrupted apart from dashing the BR 800 into a million tiny pieces and jumping up and down on them screaming "die you b*st*rd."

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Hook

When you use the wav converter are you hooking up the br800 via usb cord or are you inserting the sd card directly in the computer. If your hooking up the 800 try just reading from the card. On my mbr I have some card read errors & I take the card out, blow on the card & into the slot & it always seems to fix the problem.
That really sucks my brother, I new you were working on a bassfest tune & am excited to hear it I hope you find the tracks!!!
Rock On!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

64Guitars

I'm thinking the same thing as Hook. Take the BR-800 out of the equation for the time being and just use a card reader hooked up to your computer. Try using BR Wave Converter to convert the tracks to WAV files directly from the card reader.

Also, try backing up the card from the card reader (not the BR). Then restore the backup to a different card and put it into the BR to see if you can access the song.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

alfstone

Quote from: 64Guitars on December 16, 2013, 08:18:01 PMI'm thinking the same thing as Hook. Take the BR-800 out of the equation for the time being and just use a card reader hooked up to your computer. Try using BR Wave Converter to convert the tracks to WAV files directly from the card reader.

Also, try backing up the card from the card reader (not the BR). Then restore the backup to a different card and put it into the BR to see if you can access the song.

+1

Alfredo

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Tascam DP-24
recorder
Logic Pro
recorder
Adobe Audition
http://soundcloud.com/alfredo-de-pietra 
http://www.flickr.com/photos/26939208@N03/

Ferryman

Good ideas, I will buy a card reader and see if I can read directly off the card. However, I don't hold out too much hope because odd things have been happening while I have been recording this song. Tracks have been repeating what I have recorded, for example, I recorded something for a couple of bars on one track and then found that it was repeated for the whole track as long as I had playback going even though I had not been recording over the later parts of the song. I suspect corruption on that track.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Geir

Quote from: Ferryman on December 17, 2013, 01:04:29 AMTracks have been repeating what I have recorded, for example, I recorded something for a couple of bars on one track and then found that it was repeated for the whole track as long as I had playback going even though I had not been recording over the later parts of the song.
That sounds a lot like the looper function to me. If the record light was blinking while recording the looper mode was on and you would experience what you have.

While waiting for a card-reader what you could do is to backup the song, initialise another card and restore the song to the new card.

When using the BR wave-converter, does it show the song you're having trouble with at all, or is it whan you're trying to export the tracks that you get the error? If it's the latter I suggest skipping the first track(s) and try again. In my experience there's usually just one or two tracks that have errors and the rest can be extracted.

(see here for a more detailed description : https://songcrafters.org/community/index.php?topic=7315.0)

Good luck ! Looking forward to hear the song !
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Ferryman

The issue seems to be pretty fundamental. When I try to backup the song file it says the main TAK_DAT.BR0 file is corrupted. Wave converter cannot display any of the track info, the song shows in the list of songs but when I try to open it the Wave Converter says "Cannot read song" so I cannot even export some of the track data.

I will try a separate card reader but I think I am farquarhed. This had all kinds of one-off weird bass effects that I can never replicate again. GRRRR.

BTW, was that your 10,000th post Geir? If so I am honoured!!!

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

IanR

Bloody hell.  There is nothing worse that a corrupted file. Especially when it has been a creative process. I always get a low feeling in my gut and I want to throw something around the room.

I hope it works out.

Ian

recorder
PreSonus Studio 1824
recorder
PreSonus FaderPort 8
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

Ferryman

Quote from: IanR on December 17, 2013, 04:30:20 AMBloody hell.  There is nothing worse that a corrupted file. Especially when it has been a creative process. I always get a low feeling in my gut and I want to throw something around the room.

Indeed, I definitely need to throw something. It's looking increasingly like it could be the BR 800. Looking at prices of the Zoom R16 right now.....

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

peterp

I'd be more inclined to believe the SD card has gone bad, they do wear out occasionally.
Or the card structure can get messed up.

Maybe try a new card before replacing the unit,
and occasionally do re-format the cards to rebuild the toc and file pointer chains.

I keep a rotation of cards in my cameras, in case one goes nuts I don't end up losing entire shoots.

You might also try one of the magic card recovery programs to see if it can pull anything of bad card.

recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Quote from: - Newton Minow, head of FCC 1961"Television, America's vast wasteland"