MetaVitae... "Face to Face"

Started by hewhoiscalledj, March 05, 2009, 12:07:04 PM

lg

Very impressive. Your sound is tight!
Great Drummer!
You guys are gonna be awesome!
LG
nothing is real... So theres nothing to get hung about!

hewhoiscalledj

Quote from: Greeny on March 06, 2009, 02:17:51 AMThere are some very interesting Indie soundscapes being created here. And you're definitely a tight band -especially for such a shifting, complicated song.  Needed more vocals for me, but maybe that's not the effct you're after. Great work though.

Thanks Greeny... But what exactly defines this "indie" soundscape? I'm not one to label things, but i'm curious if there is any particular flavor or phrasing style that brought the term "indie" to mind.

At some point during the writing process, I kept thinking the song was too simple (its really just ABCDABCD and we could never quite figure out a good bridge that we could all agree on. Eventually, we realized we liked the 4 parts so much we said screw it... we'll just repeat and be done with it. So when you say it's complicated, it befuttles me to think we pulled something off here. Have a listed to other song I posted "Crafty Bastard." I'd really appreciate your thoughts on that since it's our newest song.

Greeny

Quote from: hewhoiscalledj on March 06, 2009, 10:09:23 AM
Quote from: Greeny on March 06, 2009, 02:17:51 AMThere are some very interesting Indie soundscapes being created here. And you're definitely a tight band -especially for such a shifting, complicated song.  Needed more vocals for me, but maybe that's not the effct you're after. Great work though.

Thanks Greeny... But what exactly defines this "indie" soundscape? I'm not one to label things, but i'm curious if there is any particular flavor or phrasing style that brought the term "indie" to mind.

At some point during the writing process, I kept thinking the song was too simple (its really just ABCDABCD and we could never quite figure out a good bridge that we could all agree on. Eventually, we realized we liked the 4 parts so much we said screw it... we'll just repeat and be done with it. So when you say it's complicated, it befuttles me to think we pulled something off here. Have a listed to other song I posted "Crafty Bastard." I'd really appreciate your thoughts on that since it's our newest song.

Yes... 'Indie' is quite a wide label. For me, this sounded like the dark, introspective sound of several 'shoe-gazing' bands - such as M.B.V, Jesus and Mary Chain, possibly even a shade of Joy Division. It's the dark introspection that leads me to that - i.e. it's an anti-pop song on pretty much every level.

The underlying chords may be simple, but that doesn't make for a simple treatment. There's plenty of changes and shifts going on - even if you're just jamming around trying to find something.

It needs a strong vocal to make it a completed song though.

Greeny

Crafty Bastard....

Now, that one's hard to categorize. How would you categorize it? Sounds like heavy metal to me, but as I don't know my nu-metal from my death-metal etc, I don't know how to label it. Sounds pretty tight though, and it has the soft-loud dynamic that worked so well for The Pixies (and Nirvana).

hewhoiscalledj

Huh, that's an excellent critique of both songs as you've pretty much nailed my earlier influences from MBV, the Pixies and Joy Division (mostly New Order perhaps...)

I have no idea how to (gasp) label the Crafty song. Our bassist and drummer pretty much put the structure of the song together. They were attempting to appease my own punk sensibilities as a guitarist, while simultaneously injecting some novel timing/breaks. Then there's the very long and back-to-shoegazing outtro... Our set list could use it but I think I plan on layering a dissonant melody over it towards the end.

Thanks again for your input and generously kind words. The band will be happy to hear everyone's opinions of our sound as we have been keeping it on the down low until recently...