Quick Survey

Started by StevieM, March 05, 2009, 11:46:48 AM

StevieM

Do you prefer a heavy guitar or a light one?
I've got a chance to get hold of some Greenheart for guitar bodies, but it's quite a heavy timber. For instance, Ash is 42lb cubic foot, Maple 46lb, Iroko 40lb, Greenheart 73lb ( these are only average weights).

The weight can be kept down by making slightly smaller bodies, or unusual ones with bits cut out and stuff.

What do you think?
I always say, if I can leave somebody happy and smiling at the end of the day-----I've completely f*cked up!!

beleg

how does greenheart sound as a semi hollow body?

hewhoiscalledj

Personally I prefer heavy guitars like my Les Paul... pretty sure mine's mahogany. It's as comfortable as a tank.

I enjoy tooling around with other guitars, but the light ones (Teles, Strats) dont give me the tone that my sloppy guitarwork demands. LOL. It could just be the whole single pickup vs. humbucker thing, or the fact that i enjoy endless sustain.

BossMicroBRew

More on the heavy side for this guy.
"90-proof pain, I shot at a time."  -George Molton

Greeny

I prefer a bit of weight. My tele is nice and solid. It's only slightly lighter than a Les Paul. It's nice to have something substantial in your hands  :D

Ferryman

Light for me. I always found the Les Paul to be a bit of a plank (understandable, given what Les started with). When I used to play live I was a bit of a nutter (some may say plank) on stage so always preferred something that wasn't too heavy to wave around. My view was that I didn't want a guitar with a recognisable sound like a Les Paul or a Strat because I was trying to create my own sound through the amp and pedals. So I always used mid range Ibanez guitars that were well made but didn't really have a "sound". They were all in the light end of the weight spectrum. Also, I was never been able to afford a Les Paul or Strat in my playing days so they were never on the cards anyway.

I'm more of a rhythm guitarist and thrasher rather than a real lead player, so now a Tele does me well. Captures that thrash/punk sound nicely. I love the look, simplicity and weight of it.

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Flash Harry

For me it's about how it feels in my hands. Some acoustics feel really light and I'm surprised by their stiffness, but they play beautifully with great tone and open-ness. I wouldn't like to hang a very heavy guitar round my neck and play it for hours though. I've done that with old solid basses and they make my shoulder ache.

;D
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

guitarron

i think it depends on the tone your looking for- for example you wouldnt use mahogany to get a strat type sound

as far as comfort, heavy guitars don't bother me, (thats what wide straps are good for)- playabilty and tone are what concerns me most

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

StevieM

Thanks guys. I might take a chance and experiment with the Greenheart then, and a few other unusual ones too.

I don't think it'd work too well for acoustics or any hollow body. It can be a bugger to work anyway and doesn't bend at all well, but might give that a try when I've got time.
Cheers.
I always say, if I can leave somebody happy and smiling at the end of the day-----I've completely f*cked up!!

tkofaith

I've never heard of greenheart.  Is it classified as a tone wood?  I wonder how something that dense will resonate.  Keep us posted!
Cheers!

Tim

"Music survives everything, and like God, it is always present.
It needs no help, and suffers no hindrance.  It has always found
me, and with God's blessing and permission, it always will."
--Eric Clapton