asking you guitar players

Started by wiley, March 04, 2009, 06:39:12 PM

Dmann

From my experiences, there is no country solo's really. A good buddy of mine took the country route and went touring with his mother who was a vocalist back when we were 16 while I stayed with metal/rock.

He always tells me how most leads are more of an melody and usually played throughout the whole song as more of a backing and filling as opposed to the dedicated lead/solo part. In addition a fair amount of it is chicken picking or banjo style picking and usually duo'd with a violin or steel guitar.

Obviously there are exceptions to this, but I just wanted to share, what he shared with me. Hes been playing country covers live now for about 20 years, and his Mom's band still has bookings 6 months in advance.

Wiley

I jammed yesterday with a country band.  They do a lot of the old country and I listened and watched and what they played is an entirely different sort of thing.  I don't know how to explain it.  Should a took a video with my digital camera LOL.   He made things look so simple.  And yes it was melody, but he played it in harmony or something.  Looked like he only played top 2 or 3 strings.   G B &E  Anyway it was fun.  I took my Br maybe I will post one of the songs.  It was live and sitting on a chair so don't know how they sound yet. Haven't listened. Thanks again.