asking you guitar players

Started by wiley, March 04, 2009, 06:39:12 PM

Wiley

I was talking to a friend of mine, I had asked him if he would put some good old fashioned country leads in some songs.  (He plays very good rock guitar)  He told me he likes country but that all the licks etc are different than like rock and blues guitar.. I guess I thought runs were all basicly the same.  He said he really didn't know how to play these licks.  I guess I'm just wondering you guys opinions of this.  I never really thought about it before.  Maybe my feeble guitar playing has been barking up the wrong tree. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks

AlchemyMN

Same notes, but the tone, phrasing, and sequence are very different...

Here is a guy who can play the country thing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2UcufFislE

He's using a Strat with compression, but he normally plays a Tele...

Blooby

When I think of country, it's with a clean, highly compressed tone through single-coils, more open string runs, double-stops, and fake pedal-steel licks.

I'm sure I'm over simplifying.

Blooby

guitarron

Quote from: Blooby on March 05, 2009, 04:13:16 AMWhen I think of country, it's with a clean, highly compressed tone through single-coils, more open string runs, double-stops, and fake pedal-steel licks.

Blooby

um yah that about sums it up-
it's only simple if you can already do it
-some of the best guitarists i've ever seen were country players
check out i dont give a donald at nevermet site

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Greeny

Telecasters are (generally) a pretty key component too...

tkofaith

Quote from: guitarron on March 05, 2009, 05:16:32 AM
Quote from: Blooby on March 05, 2009, 04:13:16 AMWhen I think of country, it's with a clean, highly compressed tone through single-coils, more open string runs, double-stops, and fake pedal-steel licks.

Blooby

um yah that about sums it up-
it's only simple if you can already do it
-some of the best guitarists i've ever seen were country players
check out i dont give a donald at nevermet site

Don't forget the country thirds!  A large part of the country sound comes from the use of thirds (double stops with the 1 and the 3 or flat 3).
Cheers!

Tim

"Music survives everything, and like God, it is always present.
It needs no help, and suffers no hindrance.  It has always found
me, and with God's blessing and permission, it always will."
--Eric Clapton

Bro

Well... Your friend has a point.

You ask a blues player to play country, it might just sound as tele blues..

Or for me it would at least.. Anyway, if i was you i would either write a country sounding solo, or make a country player play on your song  8)

Take care, and remember to upload the song as soon as its finish  :)
If you loose track over a chord progression, play as fast as you possibly can. Nobody will know. Thats how they invented bebop.

Wiley

Thanks a lot guys I will give this some thought.  I guess I thought lead playing was lead playing.  didn't know it involved so much.  ;D

The Reverend 48

Quote from: wiley on March 05, 2009, 05:14:56 PMThanks a lot guys I will give this some thought.  I guess I thought lead playing was lead playing.  didn't know it involved so much.  ;D

From my limited knowledge a lot of blues is played in a minor key whilst a lot of country is played in a major key ( same scale but played 4 frets lower)

thats just the beginning then comes the hard part getting phrases and expressions right....
Whilst a lot of country is played on single coils...I believe most guitars can produce a fair country solo......

guitarron

[/quote]

Whilst a lot of country is played on single coils...I believe most guitars can produce a fair country solo......

[/quote]
split coils work well too
i used a strat with a trem-setter for many years until i got my brian moore(with the split coils)

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand