"Is It Me???????"

Started by bazz-t-bass, November 21, 2013, 09:01:10 AM

Blooby

I remember a stage in college where I would turn up my amp and just play feedback with some delay on it.  Always loved it when you hit the big chord/note, and it slowly transitioned to musical feedback.  My neighbors didn't like it as much as me.  These days, I like it just loud enough to where the talkers aren't an issue.  Can't take crazy loud any more.  I was camping on a river yesterday, and my ears were ringing as I was falling asleep.  No good.

Blooby

kenny mac

I always use eyebrows as a gauge.

If the guy sitting in front of the bands eyebrow are blowing about I know I'm at the right level :)

chip

Quote from: Farrell Jackson on November 24, 2013, 05:35:10 PM
Quote from: 64Guitars on November 24, 2013, 03:49:25 PM
Quote from: Flash Harry on November 24, 2013, 03:29:17 PMI like loud.

But then, one by one, each band member would turn himself up a bit so he could hear what he was doing. Of course, then the rest of the band members couldn't hear what they were doing so they'd turn up too.

I've was caught in that stage volume cycle for years 64. Just as you mentioned, all it took was one person to increase the volume and the war was on. When I was younger all the bands I played with had 100 watt plus amplifiers, including me. After a few years it seemed everyone went to the the 50 watt amps. Then the 25 watt amps. When I retired from gigging with a band I was playing a 15 watt x 10" Fender Pro Jr. and at times that was still too loud, lol. 15 RMS watts will put out a lot of sound but unlike a 100 watt amp they stay at a bearable volume when pushed , unless you mic them up.

Farrell

Remember it well, like yourself I ended up with 15 watt valve amps which seemed loud enough for me. I used them un miced in pubs and clubs and they sound great when pushed, even the 4 watt vox I now have going through a 1 x 12 cab is loud enough. Some of the lads think it's ridiculous, the ones who have to still have giant stacks who play in small pubs/clubs, then wonder why the landlord tells them to turn it down or get out. Some of these people are the ones I played with as a lad, but, still insist on the 100 watt head and 4x 12 or even another 4x 12. I'm fine with my small portable low watt amps, There's just something about a little valve amp cranked up
Sweet young thing aint sweet no more.

ODH

Many years ago I went to see Elvis Costello in Cardiff St David's doing an "acoustic" tour.  Massive PA though, too big for the space.  Just muffled and noisy.  Until the power failed to the rig and he had to carry on really unplugged.  St Davids is a proper acoustic auditorium and it sounded sweet as a nut.  Then the power came back...

Then not so long ago I saw a band called Hurts in a more regular arena.  The bass was so heavy it really felt like your insides were moving around.  I don't know what they were trying to achieve, but it totally spoiled it for me.

You can get these hearing protectors which attenuate levels without impairing fidelity for gigs.  I keep meaning to get myself some.
Overdrive - Distortion - Hyperactivity
Yesterdays shatter, tomorrows don't matter

Speed Demon

Many moons ago, I played with several rock groups. One of them my own.
It seemed like once per month one of the guys would show up at rehearsal and drag in another half, or full stack.
Marshall, Ampeg and Orange were the amps of choice in those days. I used two full 100 watt Ampeg stacks for the longest time. Later, switched to Marshall gear. I used power soaks between the heads and the four cabinets, so I could overdrive the crap out of the heads and still not decimate the audience or the rest of the band. The down side was, I had to buy a van to carry it all.
Good thing I wasn't married then. Most of that stuff would have been a forlorn wet dream instead of being parked in my music room.

I could do Loud, and then some. Heck, I could still do Loud. There are two stereo amps in my racks, capable of generating 750 watts RMS. Plus another 110 watts from the Peavey 5150 head.

recorder
Boss eBand JS-8

recorder
Adobe Audition

There is room for all of God's creatures.
Right next to my mashed potatoes.

Flash Harry

PA 2 x 550Watt Peavey power amp.
2 x Peavey Pro 15's,
2 x pro 15 subs.
About 30% for the tops, 50% for the subs. so probably 450 Watts of vocals and kick drum

Hartke VX 350W bass amp on about 4 (ish)

Premier Export kit, it's the high hat that makes my right ear ring for days afterwards...

Rosewell Boutique un-mic'ed guitar amp. 30/15 Watt switched to 15 Watt and turned up just enough to make it break up.  

How is it done? How can a 15 watt guitar amp compete with more than half a kilowatt of amplification and a drum kit?

We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Speed Demon

Flash, how would you like to adopt me, so I can play with your toys every day.

Almost forgot. Are you right-handed, or a north-hander?

recorder
Boss eBand JS-8

recorder
Adobe Audition

Speed Demon

Chip, did you ever own a Sears Silvertone amp? I had one way back in paleozoic times. It produced a bone-jarring 7 watts. 10 watts on a good day and with a following wind. I ran it wide open and miked it into the sound system. Sounded nice but it didn't last very long, being constantly stressed to the max.

During a rehearsal with the band, we all suddenly smelled an odor of overheated electrical components, which was quickly followed by crackling noises, smoke and fire. The mighty Silvertone had played its farewell song. Too bad. I liked the sound it produced when pushed way beyond its limit.

recorder
Boss eBand JS-8

recorder
Adobe Audition

Flash Harry

You need to see my BIG PA Gene, 3.6Kw of awesomeness!  

I don't have enough time to play with them myself. :(
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

bruno

Went to see Frank Turner recently, and that was refreshingly moderated, and as such a really pleasant experience. Could hear everything perfectly. It depends on how deaf the sound engineer is (and how good they are). Went to see Elliott Minor a few months back, they were very loud (Mesa amps - small venue), and that was making me feel quite uncomfortable, I went and stood at the back! If its too loud, and all that ..... I think its all getting too loud for me :-)
B

recorder
Boss BR-1600