"Is It Me???????"

Started by bazz-t-bass, November 21, 2013, 09:01:10 AM

bazz-t-bass

Am I just getting too bloody old  ???.

Last weekend I went (with good lady and friends) to our local village hall to see QUILL live in concert.
They are a long established UK folk rock outfit (you'll find'em onYou-tube) with a large, well established following, and very competent and professional too.

So why did we leave after the first 45 minute set ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Because their sound desk operator seemed to think the only way to get a balance was to keep boosting each individual channel until the whole thing was physically painful (both to ears and chest).

The room was a low ceiling space about 35feet by 80feet and the PA cabs wouldn't have been out of place at an outdoor festival.

I'm sure these guys must have permanent hearing damage if they were not aware of what they were doing :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(.

Now come on then..............IS IT ME ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Boss BR-600

WHAT IF? the hokey cokey is really what it's all about????

Blooby

No, it's not you. I went to see the instrumental band The Aristocrats over the summer, and I had to leave early. Good Lord, it was loud. I had ear plugs by the way, but the bass concussion was still killing me.

Blooby

banjaxed

Not sure how true it is but I was told several years ago that some groups don't like people talking when they are playing so they make it impossible to hear anything, which in turn stops people speaking  :-\

Blooby

Quote from: banjaxed on November 21, 2013, 12:21:01 PMNot sure how true it is but I was told several years ago that some groups don't like people talking when they are playing so they make it impossible to hear anything, which in turn stops people speaking  :-\

That was Pete Townshend's mentality as well in the early days.  I would say there is a large rift between loud and painfully loud.

steelguitar

A lot of music rock played live is toooooo loud for my ears.
It's me, but I think it's also a trend in live music.
God, hearing damages in audience will increase sadly
recorder
Boss Micro BR

"I'm sitting on a comet / Slowing speed / I'm landing on your planet / On your land of weed" Daniel (de Sète)

https://www.facebook.com/TheMAUSS

Hilary

I went to see Biffy Clyro at the Royal Albert Hall and wished I'd taken ear plugs (because it was so loud) - although they had guitar racks on each side of the stage and a Roadie just to tune them all and hand them over for the appropriate songs, which I thought was seriously cool.

My daughter went to a birthday party with a disco and had ringing in her ears for 2 days.
recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça

bazz-t-bass

It seems quite accepted by the younger generations that a good "musical"  experience necessitates getting rat-arsed and deafened simultaneously  :o :o :o but the members of this this band are all age55 + (they of course were behind the speaker cabs and using in ear monitors) ........but the audience average age was probably over 60 and just looking around was telling me that it was only the faithful that were really enjoying it. Quite a number followed us out when we left early.

Bazz           (eh! WHAT..........Speak up ::))
recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Boss BR-600

Roytoy

The best sounding and easy to listen to concert I ever went to was Tom Petty. It was like sitting at home listening to his records. I agree with the original post, most concerts are too loud. I'm glad I wore ear plugs for the last decade that my band was playing full-time, or I would prolly have damage too. I still wear them even when we rehearse in the recording studio.
recorder
Boss BR-1200

bazz-t-bass

Hi Roy......I caught Tom Petty at the Odeon in Birmingham (UK) back in the 70's(cud have been 80's)....Great band...........Saw loads of top acts at this venue (about 2000 seats and lots of soft absorbent surfaces). The best live sound and balance still stands out vividly as "The Little River Band" .First time I'd ever seen a drummer behind a glass screen to avoid "bleed" into the main sound. 8) 8)

Regards

Bazz

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Boss BR-600

chip

Quote from: Roytoy on November 22, 2013, 06:56:17 AMThe best sounding and easy to listen to concert I ever went to was Tom Petty. It was like sitting at home listening to his records. I agree with the original post, most concerts are too loud. I'm glad I wore ear plugs for the last decade that my band was playing full-time, or I would prolly have damage too. I still wear them even when we rehearse in the recording studio.

Wow I bet that was cool

Quote from: bazz-t-bass on November 22, 2013, 08:17:46 AMHi Roy......I caught Tom Petty at the Odeon in Birmingham (UK) back in the 70's(cud have been 80's)....Great band...........Saw loads of top acts at this venue (about 2000 seats and lots of soft absorbent surfaces). The best live sound and balance still stands out vividly as "The Little River Band" .First time I'd ever seen a drummer behind a glass screen to avoid "bleed" into the main sound. 8) 8)

Regards

Bazz

And that too. One band I haven't seen is Petty and his men. I went for the tickets for the last Uk dates but they had all gone. I must admit Tom Petty is among my favourite artists and would love to see him and his band, and I can believe that his shows would be very well put together sound wise too.

As for Quill, they come from around these parts and have been going since time begun, I have seen them a few times but I didn't consider them loud, the material they play is hardly heavy rock, more folk rock. Perhaps the sound guys got it all wrong.

I don't like bands that play to loud, the drummer from the last band I was in has had to retire due to ear problems related to loudness, I did warn him and the rest of them, I always used proper musical ear defenders when playing live or rehearsing to keep out the nasty frequencies. Youngsters including me when I was young do tend to like it loud though, I suppose it's the nature of kids to rock out and play it loud but not 60 year olds, unless your Lemmy. 
Sweet young thing aint sweet no more.