External mic

Started by steveo58, March 04, 2009, 01:18:33 PM

Hi,

I've just started some very amateur home recording using the Boss.

I'm looking to get a cheap Condenser mic to use instead of the internal mic to record acoustic guitar and irish bouzouki.

Has anyone got any recommendations?

I've been watching a few AKG 1000 on ebay (£30 - £60), but have also looked at an Eagle EM240 (£15) on Amazon.

Is is worth spending a bit more for one of these, or should I just go with the recommended Sony ECM-DS70P Electret Condenser for about £10.

Any thoughts?

AlchemyMN

Search the archives for lots of thread on this topic. 

Bottom Line = don't go shopping until you have really explored what the internal mic can do.

hewhoiscalledj

If it's the MicroBR that you have, keep in mind that it does not provide the necessary 48V of phantom power needed to run a regular condenser mic. You would need a pre-amp; most any mixer will have them, or you could use something like an MAudio interface.

The electret condenser mics like the Sony are useable with MicroBR because it does provide the 2.5 - 10V of power.

I've had pretty good luck with my latest purchase, an Audio Technica Pro24 stereo mic which can run off it's own batteries, or 4V of supplied power.

Thanks for advice folks....As usual though, I ignored it...and went on to ebay to buy a "session master" sm900 condenser. It's phantom power but operates with aa battery.

Unfortunately, it does not work through the mic input, uless I'm doing something completely wrong. It will however work through guitar input, but level is very low unless the effects are turned on.

I've tried reading all the technical stuff (it's a low impedance 400 ohms balanced) but can't spot what's wrong.

I've splashed out on a behringer mic100 preamp hoping this will help.

Any ideas what's wrong....I've checked input levels and messed with sensitivity and checked that the input itself works. I presume it's some sort of compatibility problem.....

hewhoiscalledj

Hmm, you are better off using the EXT input over the GTR input. Keep in mind, the MIC input is the built-in mic. With the battery in the new condenser mic, be sure that Plug In Power (on Utility menu) is off; it defaults to this, but it doesnt hurt to be sure because it could fry your microphone if accidentaly turned on.

Technically, you dont need a mixer for any phantom power since the mic has the battery power option. The advantage of having the mixer is that you can use multiple mics and have other line ins for other sources like keyboards and things. Just keep in mind, it will all record to 1 or 2 stereo tracks on the MBR.

For a cool boutique quality mid-level mic, i'd suggest looking at Cascade mics. The Fathead large condenser mic is a winner. But i'd save your money for other things if you've already picked up a mic. Make the most of it and go from there.

Kody

I'm sure is compatible....I've never used a mic w/ battery powered phantom power before, I've heard of them though...It sounds like it's not getting it's phantom power...maybe you don't have phantom switched on? OR try selecting LIN as your input...

Also, what kind of adapter are you using from the mic cable to the line in/mic input...

Here's what I do---This might help when you get your micpreamp:

I have a mixer w/ phantom power--I plug my condenser into a channel-(make sure the phantom power is turned on-hehehe) Then I use the RCA outs on the mixer that goes to an adapter w/ 2 female RCAs to stereo 3.5mm---Then I can plug the stereo 3.5mm into the LINE-IN/MIC input of the BR--make sure LIN is selected--and I'm good to go!!

By the way-I use a $59 MXL 990---I love it!!

Hope this helps :)
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

BAG

It should work fine in the EXT input. I tried a little self powered mic prior to getting the little Sony ECM-DS70P and it worked fine but was nowhere near as good sound as the Sony. I haven't seen the specs of the mic you bought but it does sound as though you opted for a good quality one.

I'm sold on the Sony as the sound is hard to fault.....and they are a bargain. You could always get one as an alternative option as they are so cheap.

listen here for an example of the Sony (Use some good quality headphones for best results)
http://microrecorders.org/community/post-your-work/drop-d-waltz/0/
Just a roadie again.....

BossMicroBRew

Quote from: Kody on March 12, 2009, 04:21:38 PMBy the way-I use a $59 MXL 990---I love it!!

Same here. Great advice. Great mic.
"90-proof pain, I shot at a time."  -George Molton