Glad To Be Alive - Sibling Rivalry

Started by BAG, November 16, 2013, 06:47:16 PM

BAG

ERROR: No MP3 file found.

All topics in the Post Your Work boards must have either an mp3 file attached or include a link to an external mp3 file ([singlemp3] tags) in the message body.

This is a song written by a good friend of ours called Brian (Birdy) Burdett. Kayla and Maddie were good friends of his daughters (Skye and Kayla) and Birdy was very supportive of my girls music, getting them up on stage with him whenever we were at his gigs.

About 18 months ago Birdy, Skye and Kayla were all killed in a car crash. This affected my Kayla a lot more than expected with her not even able to play certain songs without getting really upset.

Recently another good friend of ours, and Birdy's best friend, Marshal O'Kell (who also gets Kayla up to play with him regularly) remixed Birdy's song "Glad to Be Alive" for his latest album.

"Glad To Be Alive" is the way Birdy lived his life. He was the happiest man we have ever met and lived life to the fullest. Kayla now performs this song at almost every gig and has really made it part of her. Technically it is a cover, but it is as close to an original as the girls play at the moment. In this vid they are playing it completely acoustic for a seniors music appreciation group in Cooma.

Enjoy

https://www.ebutuoy.com/watch?v=wYwDVTG1nVM
Just a roadie again.....

bruno

The lyrics sure have meaning now. That is a awesome performance - and a great song. Thanks for posting.
B

recorder
Boss BR-1600

Hilary

Well your girls are very talented and I'm sure Birdy is looking down and smiling and dancing along. It's a great song and a great tribute to your friend.
recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça

AndyR

That's fabulous. Great song, great performance.
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

thetworegs

If Life is a dream then use your imagination

Jarle

recorder
Boss BR-800

Hook

Pretty awesome job, very talented kids!
Rock On!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

Ferryman

Lovely performance, their talent keeps growing. I like the percussion accompaniment as well, very nicely done - I couldn't do that while playing live! Such a sad back story which gives the performance even greater emotional resonance. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Redler

Awesome performing (and good quality of live recording!). Loved the groove and positive feel of the song/perfroming! The music lives! Thanks for sharing the sad story, too.

Kari
recorder
Korg Sound on Sound
Redler & Co   
recorder
Audacity

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

BAG

Thanks folks. The girls appreciate the comments. Yes it is a sad story but as the girls have discovered, the more they play it, and think about the happy side of things, the more Birdy's legacy lives on. I don't think many people realised the effect Birdy had on those around him until after he passed away. There was even a music festival attended by over 400 people dedicated entirely to his memory. He never made it BIG in a commercial sense..... but he did make  a LOT of people smile!

Glad to be Alive!

Everyday!!
Just a roadie again.....