Zoom RFX-300???...I'm never content!

Started by Hook, November 07, 2013, 08:47:39 PM

Hook

So the effects on the MR8 are mostly rubbish & it doesn't have phantom power for a condenser mic. There is a guy local here asking $40 for the Zoom RFX-300

here is a review http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/nov99/articles/zoom.htm
I've also seen them for as little as $25 on ebay, probably about $40 with shipping. I figure I could use it with a dynamic mic into the MR8. It also looks to have some cool flanger, phaser & chorus effects. It runs on batteries, which is a must but it uses 6 AA :o.  With the MR8 using 6 AA & the mbr needing 2 that's a shit load of batteries to be keeping charged just so I can record in my car. I used the ps02 as a mic for "Our Love Grows" & it was OK. I tried chaining up my bass into the mbr into the MR8 but just wasn't getting good levels or sound so just opted to go straight into the MR8, haven't tried using the MBR as a mic into the MR8 but I guess I should before I go and by another piece of old, outdated equipment.

Does anyone know of any other small effects processor that might work that run off batteries???

Does anyone have any opinion about this zoom unit??

I should probably go back to just using the mbr but I do like not having to bounce every 2 tracks!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

Geir

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Hook

Yes sir you are right! I was bidding on one (a br-800) on Ebay last weekend but couldn't go over $100 so I was out bid & the damn thing went for $128 bucks + shipping. It would have been a great deal but my wife would have been rather upset if I had won it, even for the $100.
The more I look at this unit (RFX-300) I really want it & the guy will let it go for $30 but I just dropped the Nissan off at the mechanics. I'm assuming it will be at least $500 to get me running again so I don't know when I'll even have $30 bucks to waste. I'm missing my morning gig ($100) today, hopefully not my afternoon one, + the cost of repairs...Good Times!
I do think however if I get this unit, with the effects from the pso2 & mbr & tracking onto the MR8 I'll be pretty content ::) with my studio. I want to add a small laptop also so I can export the tracks from the MR8 after the 1st bounce when recording in the car. This might be overkill since I usually don't have more than a 2 hours for a session in the car but occasionally I have more than one session in a day & might use up all my tracks. Yes Geir I do need a BR800, if anyone is looking for a Christmas gift idea for me there you go. I'm pretty sure my wife is not going to get me one...& I'm not asking her either!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

Farrell Jackson

Hook, I used the Zoom RFX-300 for effects on my first cd in about 2000. My recorder then was a Fostex FD8 that didn't have any effects at all so the RFX300 worked out great for that. Once I upgraded to the Fostex VF160 with effects it wasn't needed but I had no complaints with the unit at all.

Farrell
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

bruno

I wonder if older units are a bit of a false economy - they tend to be lower bit rates (The zoom Palm studio is 14 bit I think, for example). Behringer do a 24 bit processor for $70

http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-FEX800-24-Bit-Multi-FX-Processor/dp/B000MJ9E92/ref=sr_sp-atf_title_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384287625&sr=8-1&keywords=Behringer+FEX800

Don't know if its any good - but seems to get good reviews

B

recorder
Boss BR-1600

Hook

Looks really cool Bruno but sadly no batteries. It has to run on batteries. The zoom says it's 18 bit but I'm not sure I could even tell the difference. I'm pretty unsophisticated when it comes to effects...make sound wet like water...make sound swirly like my brain at Grateful Dead concert...make voice good sound...  me no $ for new toy :'(

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

bruno

Well done some research - the palm studio PS 02 is 20 bit internal (I did the calculations, must be 11 bit with no compression to store the recording - but recon if you just use it as an effects box should be okay.
B

recorder
Boss BR-1600