Replacement Bass Pickups

Started by Ferryman, March 03, 2009, 05:59:03 AM

Ferryman

One for the bass players here. My bass is a very early Korean-built Squier Jazz bass. Plays beautifully, compares well to very expensive basses I tried at a guitar show last year. So I won't be changing it but am thinking about replacing the standard pickups. Anyone got any suggestions for pickup brands/types they would recommend that still retain the classic Jazz bass sound but might give me a bit more tonal and style variation? I have never replaced bass pickups altho I've used EMGs on guitars in the past. Any suggestions?

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

tkofaith

Quote from: Ferryman_1957 on March 03, 2009, 05:59:03 AMAny suggestions?
Nigel,

I've no answers for you, but I'm looking forward to the responses.  While I have no desire to replace the pickups on my Ibanez at this time, the day may come when I'll need to do so.  Good luck!

Tim
Cheers!

Tim

"Music survives everything, and like God, it is always present.
It needs no help, and suffers no hindrance.  It has always found
me, and with God's blessing and permission, it always will."
--Eric Clapton

Ferryman

So far EMG, Seymour Duncan and DiMarzio all look like possible options. Any thoughts on any of those anyone?

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

guitarron

Quote from: Ferryman_1957 on March 03, 2009, 12:58:15 PMSo far EMG, Seymour Duncan and DiMarzio all look like possible options. Any thoughts on any of those anyone?

Cheers,

Nigel
i tend to favor Seymour Duncan pick ups

i'd like to get replacements for my rick bass but i think you have to order them-i never see any stock of them anywhere

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Ferryman

Thanks, another bass playing friend recommended Seymour Duncan. May give them a try - reasonably priced but look good. I never see much in the way of bass pickups in the shops, I would always order this kind of stuff online anyway.

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Ferryman

Just ordered a set of Seymour Duncan "hot" J-bass pckups. Will let you know how I get on.

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Flash Harry

I'd be interested in your opinion when you've got them fitted.

My new bass has EMG soapbars. They are very lively
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Ferryman

Was tempted by the EMGs but they are pricey compared to the SDs. The SD ones I chose are hot (the "Quarter Pounders" they call them) but I like an attacky, slightly distorted sound (think Jean-Jacques Burnel) so I'm hoping I will get that in spades with these guys. Will let you know. Am off on another business trip next week so am hoping to get the bass into the local guitar shop before i leave.

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR