Music player for iPad???

Started by Burtog, October 07, 2013, 02:00:49 PM

Burtog

Hello y'all.

I recently got myself an ipad, it's good but 'Safari' browser seems to stop playing songs about three quarters through and start them playing again, other browsers like 'puffin' play all the way through but are inferior in sound quality.

Does anyone know of a better browser or way of improving the safari player?
recorder
Boss BR-800

Flash Harry

Hi Burtog,

It's a bugger isn't it, the iPhone does it too. I click the download link and play the mp3 in Safari, this always seems to work.

64Guitars has been looking into this for us but hasn't faound a fix for it as yet. The work around isn't too bad.
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Burtog

I also have the same problem when choosing the MP3 link, it's really annoying because the sound quality of Safari is really good, cannot understand why it plays the majority of a song and not all, it seems almost like a timeout issue?

I'm suprised that apple dont have this basic function covered.

bad apple!
recorder
Boss BR-800

Geir

Quote from: Burtog on October 08, 2013, 05:23:33 AMI also have the same problem when choosing the MP3 link, it's really annoying because the sound quality of Safari is really good, cannot understand why it plays the majority of a song and not all, it seems almost like a timeout issue?

I'm suprised that apple dont have this basic function covered.

bad apple!
agree ... and the weird thing is that sometimes it does indeed play the whole song ... have not yet figured out when (or on which files) it plays the whole song and when it don't.
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

64Guitars

Have you guys updated your iPads to the recently-released iOS 7? I don't know if it will fix the problem but it's worth a try. Here's how to update:  http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4623

Before you do though, you might want to read some of the web forums and blogs about problems other iPad users encountered after upgrading to iOS 7. It seems like a lot of people have been having problems with iOS 7. I get the impression that it works fine on new hardware but not so good on older hardware. It's possible that some of the problems have been fixed since iOS 7 was introduced on September 18, 2013. There have been at least 2 bug-fix updates since then.

Here's a Google search for pages about iOS 7 issues:

https://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en#hl=en&q=ios+7+issues

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Burtog

Quote from: 64Guitars on October 08, 2013, 08:59:04 AMHave you guys updated your iPads to the recently-released iOS 7? I don't know if it will fix the problem but it's worth a try. Here's how to update:  http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4623

Before you do though, you might want to read some of the web forums and blogs about problems other iPad users encountered after upgrading to iOS 7. It seems like a lot of people have been having problems with iOS 7. I get the impression that it works fine on new hardware but not so good on older hardware. It's possible that some of the problems have been fixed since iOS 7 was introduced on September 18, 2013. There have been at least 2 bug-fix updates since then.

Here's a Google search for pages about iOS 7 issues:

https://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en#hl=en&q=ios+7+issues

Yes, I'm on iOS7 update, also as Geir pointed out occasionally it runs correctly but not often.
recorder
Boss BR-800

Gnasty

Actually there has only been 1 bug fix since the update. There is absolutely no difference in the manner that it streams on my phone. Sometimes it`ll start the song over again for me after a minute listening or towards the end and if you let it keep going, it`ll eventually play the whole song. It also will add more listens to the downloads.

Apple is always going to be different because they want to control everything we do. I like some changes to the new IOS but with change, they also change things you don`t want done. Sorta what Roland does too no?

Could it be because Apple deals with quicktime that this is happening? Which is why we cant see the jukeboxes.

Also what i notice with the update is the Youtube vids don`t show on a page unless you wait a minute or two. Now that`s very irritating.
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Audacity

Burtog

Quote from: Gnasty on October 08, 2013, 10:28:26 AMActually there has only been 1 bug fix since the update. There is absolutely no difference in the manner that it streams on my phone. Sometimes it`ll start the song over again for me after a minute listening or towards the end and if you let it keep going, it`ll eventually play the whole song. It also will add more listens to the downloads.

Apple is always going to be different because they want to control everything we do. I like some changes to the new IOS but with change, they also change things you don`t want done. Sorta what Roland does too no?

Could it be because Apple deals with quicktime that this is happening? Which is why we cant see the jukeboxes.

Also what i notice with the update is the Youtube vids don`t show on a page unless you wait a minute or two. Now that`s very irritating.
yeah, I've noticed the delay on YouTube vids, which worked seamlessly before, I would expect that would be fixed fairly soon on an update as it is a popular problem, it's a pain having to go back to PC to get a proper listen tho.
recorder
Boss BR-800

64Guitars

Quote from: Gnasty on October 08, 2013, 10:28:26 AMActually there has only been 1 bug fix since the update.

According to Wikipedia, iOS 7.0 was released September 18th. Then 7.0.1 was released on September 19th and 7.0.2 on September 26th. You probably updated straight to 7.0.1 (missing the original 7.0 from the day before) so you only saw one update on the 26th.

According to this page, there's a 7.0.3 update rumoured for release this week.

https://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en#hl=en&q=ios+7.0.3

And iOS 7.1 could be released later this month.

https://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en#hl=en&q=ios+7.1

Quote from: Gnasty on October 08, 2013, 10:28:26 AMCould it be because Apple deals with quicktime that this is happening? Which is why we cant see the jukeboxes.

The reason you can't see the jukeboxes is because they use Adobe Flash only and Apple products don't support Flash. I haven't yet got around to making an HTML5 version of the jukeboxes. When I get some time, I'll look into that.

I'm not sure how HTML5 audio is implemented in the iOS web browser. It might use the QuickTime framework or it might use something else, such as the Core Audio API.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

64Guitars

I've added a "basic" button to the HTML5 player. It forces the browser to supply the controls for the player. It probably won't make any difference but let me know either way. I don't have access to any iOS devices so I'm relying on feedback from you guys.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website