"First and Last (Abridged)" - Original by Ted

Started by Ted, September 29, 2013, 11:29:59 AM

Geir

That new mix is smooooooooth !!

Did you also use another FX (different compressor maybe?) on the new mix?

Still a fab and inspirational song !! I'm not shitting you ;) ;D
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Ted

Thanks for the second listen and comments, Nigel, Greeny, Andy and Geir.

Other than these changes, I just tweaked some of the levels (brought up the bass in particular). Plus, I found a vocal setting in Garageband called "Exciting Compressor." So I duplicated the lead vocal, used that setting on one copy of the track, and balanced the two copies. I don't know if that's what you're hearing Geir, or just the fact that I rerecorded the lead vocals entirely.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Oldrottenhead

just heard remix that bass is popping, magic.  vox reminds me of a local lad called edwyn collins.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

AndyR

Oh yeah - love it.

Just listened to both versions, I like both, but the second is the one I'd take with me.

And yeah, you can hear the effect of "exciting compression" on the vocal on the second one. I use the technique on most of my vocals - copy of the track, pile a load of hi EQ on it and compress the cr@p out of it, then add as much of this as is needed after bringing the original track (which is where any effects such as reverb are applied) up to the right place in the mix.

I've recently "worked out" some of why exciting compression works - imagine someone whispering in your ear, what does it sound like? Lots of high end, a very dry (no room reverb) sound. To our brains, bright-EQ and dry equals "closer to us in the room" than a warm-EQ and reverberated sound...

So adding this "exciting compressed" track to the original vocal fools us into thinking the singer is right in our faces compared to the rest of the recording, so it stands out most pleasantly :)

Anyway, fine song and recording Ted.

recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Ted

The Nutrients are working on learning this. We had one rehearsal without our guitarist, and my making funny mouth noises to fill in the guitar cues.

We are hoping to play New Years Eve again -- pending availability of members. Even though this song is 18 years old, it's never been performed live.

AndyR: You are the one who enlightened me about exciting compression. I'm still not sure I have it down, but I keep trying it.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Geir

Quote from: Ted on November 14, 2013, 05:39:12 AMSo I duplicated the lead vocal, used that setting on one copy of the track, and balanced the two copies. I don't know if that's what you're hearing Geir, or.......
That IS what I'm hearing :) It worked well !

Quote from: Ted on November 20, 2013, 04:29:54 PMThe Nutrients are working on learning this. We had one rehearsal without our guitarist, and my making funny mouth noises to fill in the guitar cues.
Oh, I'd love to hear that ;D
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

AndyR

Quote from: Ted on November 20, 2013, 04:29:54 PMAndyR: You are the one who enlightened me about exciting compression. I'm still not sure I have it down, but I keep trying it.

Well, it seemed to work ok here! (I'm still not sure about whether I use it right either :D, I just fiddle around until the vocal is "enough" - sometimes, even, the exciting compression I've set up goes unused)
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Glenn Mitchell

Hey very cool idea and well produced. You really brought the era back.
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Cakewalk Sonar platinum

https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks

Ted

I was just listening to "Re-Make/Re-Model" from Roxy Music, which made me think of this comment by Greeny:

Quote from: Greeny on September 30, 2013, 07:18:54 AMLoving the 'walking' guitar riff, and that last little bass nod to Daytripper!

The quote is at about 3:25:

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Groundy

Yeah Nice one Ted.......
So-Pro.....
Well done..........

Alex

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

If I had known i was going to be this thirsty this morning I'd of had another Beer last night...

https://www.reverbnation.com/redwoodlouis/songs