Time:
0:00
Volume:
First and Last
(c) 1985, 2013 Ted Johnson
All instruments and voices: Ted
MIDI Stuff: Garageband
Analog Stuff: Micro BR

This song tells the story of my high school band, The Nutrients. I wrote this back in 1985, and the original version was almost 10 minutes long. Since The Nutrients are back together occasionally, I thought I'd make an abridged, catchier version of the song for us to perform live without boring people with the epic version.

The first verse is a reference to Dechromium Cob.

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Hook

Love that verse riff, very cool! Reminds me of my high school band...good times, good tune!
Rock On!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

Greeny

Hey! A new Ted song. Cool! And it's a mighty fine one. Lots of very interesting levels to this one, and the performance is impeccable. What a brilliant chorus too. I can hear a lot of thought (and time) has gone into the arrangement and detail of the ingredients here. Loving the 'walking' guitar riff, and that last little bass nod to Daytripper!

Superb stuff!

Ted

Also: The first verse also refers to the story I told in this post:

"Underage Drinking" or "How I Became a Musician"

Quote from: Greeny on September 30, 2013, 07:18:54 AM... and that last little bass nod to Daytripper!

Woah! I can absolutely hear that now, but I promise you that it never occurred to me until you mentioned it.

Maybe I should have mentioned above that this is just a demo -- I know there are rough edges. I've sung better in my life. The guitar solo is just a place holder: Insert Real Guitar Solo Here.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Greeny

Quote from: Ted on September 30, 2013, 09:17:24 AMAlso: The first verse also refers to the story I told in this post:

"Underage Drinking" or "How I Became a Musician"

Quote from: Greeny on September 30, 2013, 07:18:54 AM... and that last little bass nod to Daytripper!

Woah! I can absolutely hear that now, but I promise you that it never occurred to me until you mentioned it

I really thought you'd meant it. It's the kind of song a high school band would play. It works!!!

Ted

Quote from: Greeny on September 30, 2013, 09:45:56 AMI really thought you'd meant it. It's the kind of song a high school band would play. It works!!!

Not to mention there's sort of a Beatles reference in the second verse: "Fake Beatles bass for a hundred fifteen." My first bass was a cheap imitation of a Hofner violin bass. It was the only bass I could afford -- and barely.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Flash Harry

Wow what a great hook. The guitar and drums. Harmonies and breaks into jangly stuff - fantastically crafted.

Nice - yeah nice.
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Gu Djin

Jangly!  Couldn't have put it better.  - Great melody and sound.  If this is the demo - can't wait for the final version

Good stuff.

Leigh
Guild Starfire 5, Fender Telecaster, Fender Stratocaster, K Yairi and Walden and a 12 Stagg string acoustic guitar and other music making boxes - including mandolin, bouzouki and 5 string banjo, uke and acoustic bass - a few M-Audio keyboards and a flute - all played and treated with equal love and attention - zoom ut 2 pedal and Logic Pro X

Ferryman

Ah a Ted song! Good to see you here as I have not been around for a long time. I was listening to Dechromium Cob (still one of my all time faves) on my flight to the US last week so your wacky creativity is fresh in my mind. This is great and I love the whole Nutrients story. Very catchy and infectious, I love the beat and the change of the guitars on the chorus (great sound there). As for the guitar solo, I'd be happy if I'd played that and I think it fits the song pretty well. I like this a lot as it is but if there is another version to follow I am looking forward to it already....

Cheers,

Nigel 

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Jarle

Great song. The bass is really cool, and i love the chorus.
recorder
Boss BR-800