BR800 Record Levels

Started by Tootler, September 28, 2013, 04:00:27 PM

Tootler

When setting up my BR800 to record, I try to make sure that the levels are peaking well below 0dB. However, I find when I play back the recordings they are peaking at levels much higher than those I saw beforehand.

Initially, because of this, I had quite a few problems with clipping, but I can avoid this by reducing the record levels. This can result in a pretty low average level, though. The problem so far has been worst when I've been recording a recorder (as in flute like instrument) when the high notes peak quite noticeably.

I've been using a small diaphragm condenser mic (Shure PG81) into inputs 1 & 2. It has a battery inside so I don't need phantom power and using the inputs 1 & 2 mono setting I can record my recorder in one channel and my ukulele in another both through the same mic.

Is there some way I can get a better picture of the record levels before starting recording?

recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Tascam DP-006
recorder
Audacity

64Guitars

There are several level controls in the signal path and you have to set each one in the order of the signal path. Always start with the Input Sensitivity. If the input level is too high, you will get clipping regardless of where you set the recording level. That's because the recording level control is the last control in the signal path when recording. Once clipping is introduced into the signal, no amount of subsequent level reduction will remove it.

See the following message. It's about the BR-80 but the same principals apply to all of the BR series recorders.

https://songcrafters.org/community/index.php?topic=18252.msg226006#msg226006

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Tootler

Thx.

The linked article was very useful.

I'll experiment more with setting input levels using the article as a guide. I did manage to get a satisfactory recording but I felt it was more a matter of luck than good judgement.

recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Tascam DP-006
recorder
Audacity