Cakewalk is doomed

Started by 64Guitars, September 23, 2013, 05:04:24 PM

Flash Harry

Quote from: guitarron on January 25, 2018, 05:55:50 PMim using reaper now
its different but i learning how to get around on it

I use Reaper pretty much exclusively. It's rather good.
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Oldrottenhead

Quote from: Flash Harry on January 26, 2018, 09:02:15 AM
Quote from: guitarron on January 25, 2018, 05:55:50 PMim using reaper now
its different but i learning how to get around on it

I use Reaper pretty much exclusively. It's rather good.
are you on a commission? or do you just love reaper.

a couldnae get ma heid roon it.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

guitarron

not a whole lot commission on 60 bucks worth of software!

i couldn't see putting another big wad of cash on another DAW.
tried some demos of studio one, acid and cubase but reaper edged them out for me
i still wish cakewalk would be salvaged by another company-its the only DAW ive known until recently

Reaper has a TON of videos to get you going.

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

64Guitars

The following article says that Gibson is now facing bankruptcy.

http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2018/02/19/gibson-faces-bankruptcy/

I suspect that the resale value of Gibson guitars will skyrocket after the company's gone.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Mike_S

Wow that would be a massive shock if it were to go under. If it really was near the end I think a lot of the worlds richest rock stars who made their name posing with such guitars should chip together and give them a dig out.

Actually... reading another article on the same topic... seems like the falling popularity of rock music in general might be playing its part in Gibson Guitar sales, and Fender too for that matter. Scary stuff! :(

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/gibson-guitars-bankruptcy-slash-santana-bob-marley-nashville-post-debt-a8217886.html
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Speed Demon

I gave my Les Paul to one of my children. He had gotten good enough to perform with bands.
I wanted guitars that had more advanced features and Gibson guitars did not meet that requirement.
Just got more expensive for the same old same-old.

Gibson wasted a massive load of money buying up businesses they had no idea how to market, or improve the products. Cakewalk is a prime example.

I wanted high quality tremolo tailpieces and it seemed that Gibson never intended to put such devices
on the Les Paul. That device is still a great part of my playing technique.

There is also a simple mod that cleans up the muddy sound of hot pickups when using the tone control.
Costs less that two dollars for the parts and anyone handy with a soldering iron can install them.

Again, Gibson failed to impress me.

So long, Gibson. It wasn't all that nice to know you.

recorder
Boss eBand JS-8

recorder
Adobe Audition

There is room for all of God's creatures.
Right next to my mashed potatoes.

Mach

Quote from: 64Guitars on February 19, 2018, 01:00:37 PMI suspect that the resale value of Gibson guitars will skyrocket after the company's gone.

No doubt.

Sad news indeed.
recorder
Pro Tools
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Boss Micro BR

guitarron

Quote from: Speed Demon on February 19, 2018, 05:19:41 PMI wanted high quality tremolo tailpieces and it seemed that Gibson never intended to put such devices
on the Les Paul.

There is also a simple mod that cleans up the muddy sound of hot pickups when using the tone control.
Costs less that two dollars for the parts and anyone handy with a soldering iron can install them.

true-no gibson trems since the vibrola-ive got a old firebird with one-tuning issues

fender just got around to putting treble bleeds in some of their models

AAHHH but they did force feed the public Robo tuners
which nobody wants

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

64Guitars

Quote from: Speed Demon on February 19, 2018, 05:19:41 PMI wanted high quality tremolo tailpieces and it seemed that Gibson never intended to put such devices
on the Les Paul. That device is still a great part of my playing technique.

The Alex Lifeson Les Paul has a Floyd Rose.

http://www.gibson.com/products/electric-guitars/les-paul/gibson-custom/alex-lifeson-les-paul-axcess.aspx

Mind you, I don't know a lot of guitarists who can justify spending $5,500 on a guitar. That's what really killed Gibson in my opinion - the greed of the beancounters who took over the company and made Gibson guitars unaffordable by all but the wealthiest of guitarists.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Speed Demon

OUCH!

Even God doesn't make enough money to afford that guitar!

I use Kahler bridges on all my electric guitars and they are well made, totally adjustable
and do not go out of tune when using the stick shift. And the price is between 100 and 200 dollars.

recorder
Boss eBand JS-8

recorder
Adobe Audition

There is room for all of God's creatures.
Right next to my mashed potatoes.