Whirlwind

Started by Adam GT, September 21, 2013, 10:05:34 PM

Adam GT

whirlwind
Time:
0:00
Volume:
Finished my song Ive been working on lately. I had posted it as just the music earlier but no interest.
Maybe my vocals will make it comment worthy? Either way a fully done track is better to me.

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12507977

Ill work on it some tomorrow so let me know if anything stands out to your ear that might need a fix.

bruno

Adam,
Don't worry about people not commenting immediately - it sometimes takes time to get around to listening.
So to my ear ...

I like the song very much - reminds me a bit of Linkin Park, that kind of style.

There's a lot of sound, which makes it difficult to pick up the individual parts. Normally you can get clarity though pan'ing and EQ (placement is key here), plus with this type of mix, less reverb normally helps with the definition. Vocals are very good btw.

My 10c worth anyway.

B

recorder
Boss BR-1600

Hilary

Yes hi Adam and congratulations on the birth of your baby girl :) (I did listen previously but didn't get around to commenting)

I agree with Bruno - I think the vocal gets lost sometimes in the layering and some parts are heavier than others - but you say you haven't done the final mix yet. I remember you saying you play everything crikey - it's good (I particularly like the booom bit).

I'd love to hear it again with the vocals a bit more defined.

recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça

Adam GT

thanks for the feedback guys and thanks Haylie for the congrats, her name is Quorra and she is 6wks now.

It is final mix and mastered.. for now. I like to come back the next day and the next after many listens and TRY and fix things that might need it.
You know after listening to a track a hundred times or so in one night while working on it, your ear just aint the same as when you hear it fresh.

I have to do things different with the vocals, I EQ and mix those tracks down to stereo separately and master them, then place them as a single stereo track back into the mix. That way I don't muddy up the instruments chasing after the right vocals. A eq lil tweak on vocals can destroy the drum sounds.
Problem with that is im eq'ing and adding reverb without the music to compare how it sounds.
That's where it takes time.

Ill explain a lil more on how hard it is when vocals are added  :P About making them more defined. I know from experience that when recording you need to put emphasize on certain words or parts and a lot of that is mic placement or distance. Its tricky to be close in certain parts and pull away at others when the song is a mile a min lol.
I still do them in my car and have to not let myself be a jerking around in there trying to focus on holding it in the right places with my hand. A energetic song like this takes a few takes to even get close. Plus trying to even get a breath in there haha. But hey, im not afraid of a challenge or to turn purple.

I think you can tell those aren't excuses, just some of my thought process and challenges im up against.
One way to combat this is with lots of fader riding and level adjusting over many many listens.

Outside of what Im doing, the mixdowns aways go from the 32-bit multitrack to only 16-bit. whether a wav or mp3 it ends up 16-bit and id at least like 24-bit like its recorded in. It tells me im saving to lossy compression but I cant change it. adobe audition 3.0

Adam GT

vocal eq'ing was a bit harsh and yeah the reverb was to much.
Try the new mix of it. should sound smoother.

Hilary

Quote from: Adam GT on September 22, 2013, 04:38:39 PMvocal eq'ing was a bit harsh and yeah the reverb was to much.

Much clearer :D
recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça

Adam GT

Thanks for looking again, Haylie and thanks for helping.
I might have just left it but you guys helped point out things that really did need changing.  :)

I can only comment on what I can hear right now, not tomorrow or next week. Don't worry I loved it, oh sure, the vocals could be a little clearer but we are not recording in professional studios and it ain't that bad. Top post. Roscoe
recorder
Boss BR-800

bruno

Quote from: Hilary on September 23, 2013, 12:00:15 AM
Quote from: Adam GT on September 22, 2013, 04:38:39 PMvocal eq'ing was a bit harsh and yeah the reverb was to much.

Much clearer :D
+1 :-)

recorder
Boss BR-1600

Redler

Loved the energy on this! Great tune...a bit grunge influence on some spots, imo! Fine job, Adam!

Kari
recorder
Korg Sound on Sound
Redler & Co   
recorder
Audacity

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR