New Wilco Johnson Signature Telecaster - c.£500

Started by Greeny, September 19, 2013, 04:39:06 AM

ODH

Overdrive - Distortion - Hyperactivity
Yesterdays shatter, tomorrows don't matter

Greeny

Severely tempted! I already have a telecaster though. And I'm hankering after a fretless bass. Would really love one of these though. Gives me terrible GAS!!!!

Greeny

Oh yeah. Forgot you already posted this! And I even commented! Going senile...

ODH

Doesn't hurt to bring it up again though. Wilko is why I got a Tele myself. I've seen him live around 20 times (I lost count). Would love one of these.
Overdrive - Distortion - Hyperactivity
Yesterdays shatter, tomorrows don't matter

AndyR

It's a cute enough tele to post again :)

But, Greeny, yes, you need a fretless bass... here's mine:

http://www.andertons.co.uk/electric-basses/pid28301/cid682/fender-standard-jazz-bass-fretless-in-sunburst-124-rosewood-board.asp

I'm fairly certain that's the one I've got - fell in love with it in the shop about this time last year, kept going back, and eventually it left with me...

(Unfortunately, I want another Jazz with frets now... it made me realise the Jazz is probably the stock bass for me. I'm coping fine with the others, but there's times when the Jazz just sounds right for the song except fretless isn't quite right...)
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

AndyR

The wonder of fretless is, as long as the part isn't too fast, or needs specific "fretty" type sounds, then you can play it to sound like you're fretted...

In fact, that was the advice I got after the first week or two of wonderful slidey noises - "Learn to make it sound like a fretted bass, then you'll be making some really cool bass parts - in tune, on the groove, with the occasional fill or grace note that you just cannot imitate on a fretted bass..."

I have not mastered it at all yet, but I'm getting close enough so that I can feel quite smug posting a song thinking "bet no-one realises there's no frets on this thing..." :D

Not wanting to encourage GAS in anyone... but, I've just got a feeling that once you've passed the "make it sound like a fretted bass first" stage, you could make some STUNNING stuff happen.

It won't be a lot different, for us, listening, to what you do on bass parts already...

But, in your experience of writing and playing the parts, you'll feel like there's a whole new planet to explore, with less gravity, so it's easier to move...

It really is inspiring playing one (you just have to develop an ear for which bits of "inspiration" are best left out of the final part!! :D)
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

bazz-t-bass

Poor old Wilco.. ...........Had to wait till he's on his way out to get a signature guitar. :'(

Looks right on the money tho!!  ::)

Bazz
recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Boss BR-600

WHAT IF? the hokey cokey is really what it's all about????