What a F@£$%^ng idiot

Started by thetworegs, September 01, 2013, 12:08:04 PM

thetworegs

Well i got back from holiday with anticipation of my new toy i have just bought from ebay a TC Helicon Voicelive2 http://www.tc-helicon.com/products/voicelive-2/ being at home waiting for me....but it wasn't to be it wasn't there. I checked on DHL but the tracking number wouldn't work, i thought i'd been ripped off, but finally about 9 at night i finally got it to work and it showed the neighbor had signed for it. So i rushed next door to pick it up i thanked them for signing for it and excited rushed back to try the new toy out but as i unpacked it i soon realised it had no 12v adapter with it. It was then i remembered i had a spare one in the cellar, so in my excitement i rushed in there went through a couple of box's and finally found it, read the label 12v and rushed back into the kitchen plugged it into the Voicelive and switched it on, with a blue flicker on the screen it suddenly went dark, it was then that i saw on the back of the voicelive a sign above the power input 12v-1A, wondering what this mean't i decided to check on the adapter i was using that it said the same, which it surely would, wouldn't it? but no, to my surprise and horror 12v adapters are not all the same this one said 12v sure enough but also informed me it was 1700mA max:20.4VA. Obviously a tad higher than the 1A needed and that i have more than likely just fried my new toy....i have been in a state of depression since that moment of realisation that i am such a F@£$%^ing idiot...i have now ordered the correct adapter which should be here on Tuesday...i am hoping for a miracle and that when i plug the correct power adapter in it will recover and of healed it's self but more than likely i am looking at another bill to repair the now de-sainted bloody exspensive new toy....i thought i'd share this with those of you who are as ignorant as i am about electrics ....don't use any 12v adapter check first it's the right one or you too will be a F@£$%*ing idiot too and know this terrible feeling i have in the pit of my stomach...........

If Life is a dream then use your imagination

Hilary

I'm well jel - you've got vloop - I'd love one - I saw one on Youtube that was touch sensitive that you could pin to the mic stand but then forgot where I'd seen it and now can't track it down (and you thought you were useless!)

Unsurprisingly I can't help with the techie bit (shockwaves all round) - is there anyone locally that has the correct adapter you can borrow to see if you've b*ggered up the unit?

I'll keep my fingers crossed for Tuesday Reggie  >9|  (we've got pirate smileys - how cool is that!)

recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça

Flash Harry

Oh bugger.....

:r2

don't worry 'bout a ting....
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

AndyR

Oh dear...

I fried a digital set-top box like that when we moved in last year (in my haste to get the telly working). Slightly less expensive than yours might be...

In my case, what with the blue smoke and acrid "burning electrical parts" smell, I kinda knew it was terminal....

Hope you're lucky :)
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Oldrottenhead

ouch i learnt that lesson years ago. nowadays when i get a power adaptor for anything, i get a big white food label, write on it what its for then wrap it round the wire. that has saved me from frying a few things, i hope you can get it sorted.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

IanR

Wow, I've never seen one of those before.  It looks good.

I hope you haven't F#$%ED it up!

cheers

Ian

recorder
PreSonus Studio 1824
recorder
PreSonus FaderPort 8
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

Hook

Welcome to the club brother, I've backed up my car on a Saxaphone (in my teens) & a Seagull acoustic (RIP) in my twenties. Broke the neck on a vintage Guild (20's), not entirely my fault. I've also driven away from a gig and left my entire dolly of gear just sitting in the venue (not too long ago)
Hello my name is Hook & I'm a F@$^%ng idiot...

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

Farrell Jackson

Hi Regs. Did the new adapter work or was the damage permanent? I've plugged different amperage adapters into my peddles before but that never caused any damage. I guess I've been lucky so far. They usually won't work at all or have an excessive distorted sound. It seems to me that the difference between 1a and 1.7a wouldn't be enough to cause any damage but who knows? Do you know the wattage the Voicelive2 requires. That would be something to confirm also. Good luck with this and hope for the best.

Farrell
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

64Guitars

I think some people here have the wrong idea about current ratings of power adapters. The amount of current that a device draws is determined by the device, not the power adapter. Therefore, the current rating of the power adapter is a maximum capacity, not an absolute. As long as a power adapter has a current rating that's at least as high as the maximum that the device can draw, it will work just fine provided that all of the other specs of the power adapter (voltage, polarity, voltage regulation) are correct for the device. The current rating of a power adapter can be too low but it can't be too high. The device only draws as much current as it requires. It can't draw more, regardless of how much is available.

The markings above the power connector on the back of the Voicelive 2 state that it requires a 12-volt DC power adapter with a capacity of at least 1.0 amps. A 12-volt DC adapter rated at 1.7 amps will work just as well, as long as the polarity and voltage regulation are correct. The back panel of the Voicelive 2 indicates that the centre conductor of the power connector is negative and the outer conductor is positive. The most likely reason that your power adapter didn't work is that the polarity was reversed or its output was AC (not all power adapters are DC). There is no standard for polarity. Some adapters have a negative centre and some have a positive centre. You have to make sure the polarity of the adapter is correct for the device it's powering (centre negative for the Voicelive 2).

In my opinion, it doesn't pay to take a chance with substitute power adapters. You should always buy the correct adapter from the manufacturer of the device to ensure that it's safe to use. They're usually not very expensive. If you substitute a different power adapter, some manufacturers might use that as an excuse to avoid warranty repairs, even though the adapter might be perfectly suitable for the device. If you use the exact power adapter that they specify, then they can't weasel out of honouring the warranty because you used a different adapter.

A common problem with substitute power adapters for the Boss BR series recorders is that they're not always regulated. The BR requires a regulated power adapter such as the recommended PSA adapter. Using an unregulated power adapter with a BR is asking for trouble.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

thetworegs

Thanks all for the concern @64 your correct after a bit of research and checking the plug it was the wrong polarity not too much power .....it's in the shop at the moment and I'm waiting on a quote so fingers crossed its not too high....

If Life is a dream then use your imagination