BR-8 going for £130 in local music store

Started by bruno, August 31, 2013, 06:41:44 AM

bruno

Any good?
24bit recording on 100M Zip drives???

recorder
Boss BR-1600

64Guitars

It was a good recorder in its time but that was 13 years ago. Its main limitation is the Zip Drive. 100MB isn't very much, especially if you're used to a 1GB memory card or an 80GB hard drive. Zip disks can be hard to find and the cost per megabyte is high. You'll probably pay as much for a single 100MB Zip disk as you would for a 2GB SD card (20x more memory).

If it was really cheap (say £50 or less) then it might be worth having. But at £130, I don't think it's a good value. For only £70 more you could get a brand new Zoom R8 with a 2GB SD card. That would be a better value, in my opinion, because it has lots of great modern features like control surface and audio interface capabilities, sampler, USB 2.0, a much better drum machine, etc. Or you could get an ex-demo BR-80 for £199. And I'm sure there are lots of other used recorders available for £130 or less that are more modern than the BR-8.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

bruno

Thanks 64 - always a font of information. I thought that would be the case, but worth asking the question.

recorder
Boss BR-1600

Hilary

recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça

bruno

Okay - cheers  Haylie. I probably don't need another recorder, although the portability of the BR-80 is kinda tempting. It was seeing something in the shop and having a mild touch of GAS  :)

64G is absolutely correct, the media would be too expensive, and at 24bit - a single zip drive wouldn't record many songs.

B

recorder
Boss BR-1600

Hilary

Quote from: bruno on September 01, 2013, 01:22:23 AMOkay - cheers  Haylie. I probably don't need another recorder, although the portability of the BR-80 is kinda tempting. It was seeing something in the shop and having a mild touch of GAS  :)

B

You could still get one though Bruno and record anywhere you like at the touch of a button :D
recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça