New song from me

Started by Super 8, August 19, 2013, 06:21:08 AM

Super 8

ERROR: No MP3 file found.

All topics in the Post Your Work boards must have either an mp3 file attached or include a link to an external mp3 file ([singlemp3] tags) in the message body.

It took a while and I'm quite glad it's over!

Oldrottenhead

FMGWABP

absolutely love this, has a retro feel but still sounds of the moment. fabulous.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

cuthbert

Love that analog brass sound right from the start...terrific opening and theme! Amazing production and performances on this - so many parts working perfectly together. The results are well worth the wait! Could have been plucked right out as a lost hit from the Seventies, and yet sounds fresh and new.

Yes, I'll say it once more for emphasis: amazing!
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Geir

WOW !!!!!

Yes yes yes I love it !!

fanbloodytastic !

Ditto the above comments !! And may I add, fabulous backing vocals !
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Super 8

Quote from: oldrottenhead on August 19, 2013, 07:00:05 AMFMGWABP
??
Cheers guys!  Yeah, I have to say, it was quite migraine-inducing trying to pull this particular production together! The initial idea came quickly enough. I composed it all on my trusty ol' Boss Micro (as I do with most of my musical ideas) then I transferred some of the foundation tracks across & began building it up on my Mac. Half way through the production I thought: "Sod it!" but I'm now glad I persevered with it as, even though I say so myself, I feel it has something - a 'vibe' if you will.  It's hot off the presses.  I literally finished it this afternoon & thought I'd just stick it up on here first for some much appreciated valued opinions from some fellow songwriters with critical ears. Talking of ears this pair got pretty jaded from all the constant take-on-take multi-tracking involved in this (it's just me, myself & I).  I tell ya, I must have listened to this particular composition about 200+ times to get to where it is now (and I still don't think it's done!!!  For starters I want actual real brass on it plus my piano playing leaves much to be desired (think lost pigeon dawdling along the keyboard and you'll get the idea!))  Right ... onward and upward - glad this one's over for the time being.  I've still got that 12/8 timing song to finish (see previous thread) then, after that, the next song from me is definitely gonna be just straight vox + acoustic with NO overdubs (in fact I could have recorded an entire vox/acoustic album in the time it's taken me to put this one song together!)  Anyway, thanks for the kind words people - you're a good bunch!

Oldrottenhead

whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Jarle

Fantastic song. I love the production and arrangement. The choir sounds really good.

JOA
recorder
Boss BR-800

thetworegs

If Life is a dream then use your imagination

Super 8

Quote from: Jarle on August 19, 2013, 10:24:01 AMThe choir sounds really good.
Thanks Jarle!  Technically it's not a choir (although I wish it was!)  It's just my voice layered.  The lead vocal you hear from start to finish on this track is actually the first take guide vox which I laid down purely for tracking purposes.  I suppose I just got used to hearing it as the song progressed so I thought: "Fair enough, I'll just leave it in!" The Guide Vox just decided it wanted to be the Lead Vox for this one and who am I to argue?! 

To get the 'choir' effect you speak of I doubled the lead vocal melody from the second chorus onwards then overdubbed a new counter harmony part.  That was the vocal arrangement I stuck with while I tracked the rest of the instruments then, once I had all the music down, I came back to the vocals and added some call & response block vocal overdubs in sections where I felt the track needed to lift (four additional parts in total panned L to R 20<10=CENTRE=10>20). 

It was only when I gave the first playback to a friend this morning that I was informed that my overdubbed vocals sound a bit 'choir like' and that has been reiterated again by you Jarle so there must be summat in it!  I actually like the idea of having a real choir on this now it's been pointed out to me - I like these sonic happy accidents!     

Hilary

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . I'm speechless . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Well not for long :D

You have a really infectious lead vocal there, very charming and personable. Beautifully put together. I see what you mean about the brass - what did you use? (I wonder if you could use something else, or even replace it with some vocals).

You could have a real choir if you wanted - post the vocals that you need either here (or in collabs) and I'm sure we'd all chip in.

Just stunning - I can't wait for some acoustic/vox posts from you :D
recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça