Guitar Strings ----@

Started by BossMicroBRew, February 25, 2009, 05:51:04 PM

BossMicroBRew

I am just curious as to what guitar strings you like and/or use...or any comments that go along with it.

I had used Dean Markley Blue Steel since I can remember, for acoustic and electric. Before that, it was just a wash of different brands. The Blue Steels really provided a particular sound I was searching for. Now I have not totally switched, but I have gotten onto these Ernie Ball Classic Pure Nickel strings lately for my electric. I recommend trying them at least once. From the comments I have received, people either love them or hate them, though. I definitely like them and they're rather inexpensive.

You?
"90-proof pain, I shot at a time."  -George Molton

Kody

Me, I like DR Strings for electric and acoustic.  I too have tried many different kinds, but I always come back to the DRs. I like medium gauge for my electric.....1 thing I learned recently by experiment is to use a heavy assed high E string---It seems to sustain forever...I just love it!  I've got a .12 on there now from a heavy gauged set. DR also makes colored strings-some sort of special coating-like I said before the strings on my acoustic are green.  YOu kind of get sick of the color way before you need to change them-lol-so they last! Anyways, I like to tune down a whole step so heavier gauged strings work well with that....
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

guitarron

On my electrics-I've tried most every brand imaginable until i started using DR's- more than 10 years now

never had a bad set-

i also use Elixer's on my acoustics
Martin's are good too

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

AlchemyMN

Slinkys (10-lime) on the Strat
Slinkys (hybrid-orange) on the homemade Tele
Danelectro, other (10) on ES-335
DR or generic (9) on the maple neck Tele and Nitefly
DR or Elixer (10) on the Tom Anderson
Elixer (12) on the Guild
Generic OR D'Addario (12)on the Ovation

Generic = Musicians Choice (Guitar Center) or Webstrings $2/set

I used to have Blue Steels on the Strat, but they seem to be hard to find around here and I've gotten more into the Slinky sound.

Ferryman

Ernie Ball Super Slinkys all the way for me on electric, same on bass. Used to put my own very light sets together using Rotosound (.008, .010, .012, .020, .026, .032) but they didn't last that long. Happy with good old Ernie.

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Tony

Squier Strat - Gibson L5 11s
Suzuki 335 - Gibson L5 11s
Archtop - Thomastik flatwounds 12s
Republic Parlour - Elixir 11s, just switching to DR coated 11s
Yamaha RBX260 bass - Fender medium gauge flatwounds.

It took a while but I'm happy with that.

Nearly forgot:  Gibson Sam Bush 11s on the mandolin

mr2kewl

ibanez AS73B - D'Addario XL Chromes Jazz Light (flat wounds)

ibanez SR305 tenor bass (high C)- Thomastic-Infeld (flat wounds for fretless)

tie 8)
"Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted" Bill Laswell         "Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny" Frank Zappa

wandering aimlessly around as: Mr2Kewl - The Kewl Trio - Mr2Kewl Quartet and The Total Chaos Orchestra

The Reverend 48

Quote from: Ferryman_1957 on February 25, 2009, 10:53:22 PMErnie Ball Super Slinkys all the way for me on electric,
Cheers,
Nigel

Me too..... but I have bought a set of extra slinky's to see if I can play like Tony J........ ;) ;D ;D

Greeny

Ernie Ball for my electrics

Elixir for my acoustics

I'm very loyal to both  :)

BossMicroBRew

Seems like a lot of DRs and Ernie Ballers. I never tried the Elixirs. Got the Cleartones 1 time...then went back to my usual. Maybe I'll give Mr. Gore's Elixir strings a try sometime.
"90-proof pain, I shot at a time."  -George Molton