iron butterfly theme - iron butterfly covered by phantasm777

Started by phantasm777, July 24, 2013, 05:36:17 PM

phantasm777

well, ORH suggested I do inna-gadda-da-vida (in the garden of eden) by iron butterfly.
geeeeeesh! that's like 18 mins and the keys are incredibly hard, I am not even a keyboardist!
BUT I've wanted to do an iron butterfly tune for some time!

this was off their first lp "heavy". a very unique guitarist, who was replaced by the time the inna-gadda-da-vida lp came out a yr  later.

this guy was incredible, and to me this is probably the first metal song, from 1967. always loved this song! as usual just a rough demo, and at the 2 min mark the keys are not exact, I am not that good, so I winged it as best as I could. anyways. here's one for suggest fest.

running time 4:35

iron butterfly theme - iron butterfly covered by phantasm777
Time:
0:00
Volume:

Oldrottenhead

mental but cannea go in the fest, cos it wisnea the wan suggested. braw tell yer mon
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Geir

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Farrell Jackson

Phantasm you have capture that true psychedelic vibe of the late 60's era! I was flashing back to the oil in a water pan projected on the wall with an overhead projector and a strobe light going. Excellent and the drums/guitars are rockin' with psychedelia....a real head trip!

Farrell  
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

phantasm777

so I guess even though  it was a iron butterfly song, still doesn't matter, hmmm I did it cause, like who could do inna gadda da vida? I mean really!

thanks geir
thanks Farrell, really appreciate your listening let alone commenting!

64Guitars

I don't know the original but this sounds pretty cool. I like the panned pick scrapes and lead guitar. I didn't realize that Iron Butterfly had a different guitarist on the first album. I'll have to check it out. I only know the In-a-gadda-da-vida album which I have on vinyl.

Quote from: phantasm777 on July 25, 2013, 10:36:51 PMso I guess even though  it was a iron butterfly song, still doesn't matter, hmmm I did it cause, like who could do inna gadda da vida? I mean really!

The idea of SuggestFest is to accept the challenge of covering a specific song that someone suggests for you. If people choose their own songs, it wouldn't fit the original idea of SongFest. It's meant to be a challenge. If you can't do the songs suggested or don't want to, then you can always ask for some more suggestions. I'm sure someone will come up with something that's to your liking and within your abilities.

As for In-a-gadda-da-vida, I agree that the full 17-minute version is too much to expect, but I don't see any reason why you couldn't do the single version if you wanted to - it's under 3 minutes. The keyboards aren't crucial to the song, so they could be left out if you can't do them. Part of what makes SuggestFest interesting is that we all have to work within our own limitations and just do the best job we can. That can mean leaving parts out or substituting them with other instruments we're more familiar with. You can even make your own arrangement of the song. For example, as a drummer, you might want to take the single version of In-a-gadda-da-vida and add your own short drum solo in the middle, inspired by the full-length version but not necessarily copying it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FfiC5YvgIs

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Speed Demon

Wow! Heavy duty music.

Praise the Lord and pass the LSD.

recorder
Boss eBand JS-8

recorder
Adobe Audition

There is room for all of God's creatures.
Right next to my mashed potatoes.

DeificDave

Awesome, don't know the original but I'm loving this, well done.   
"The universe is a million billion light-years wide, and every inch of it would kill you if you went there. This is the position of the universe with regards to human life." ― Martin Amis

http://www.youtube.com/user/deificd/videos

Hilary

Kudos for this one Frank, you pulled off a stunner. Thanks to ORH because he gave you the inspiration for this one. It might not be a Fester, but it's definitely one of the best ones I've heard from you. I'm converted - where's the herbal tea!
recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça

phantasm777

64, personally I would never do a short version of any song if I could help it. keys are essential for iron butterfly it is a big part of their sound. bloodrock was suggested, but I don't know their songs enough to pull them off. though their first lp was the best

thanks speed

thanks deific

thanks Hilary. actually I had planned on doing this one all along, it was just a matter of when and IF I could even come close to what that psyched out guitarist was doing! :)