Acoustic drums??

Started by Bro, February 24, 2009, 08:22:50 AM

Bro

Is it possible to record acoustic drums, whit the micro br on-board mic??
Thanks for reading.. Looking forward to hear from you  :)
If you loose track over a chord progression, play as fast as you possibly can. Nobody will know. Thats how they invented bebop.

tkofaith

It's certainly possible.  I think it would be a lot of work trying to find the best settings and location for the MBR.  I would think it's more trouble than it's worth.
Cheers!

Tim

"Music survives everything, and like God, it is always present.
It needs no help, and suffers no hindrance.  It has always found
me, and with God's blessing and permission, it always will."
--Eric Clapton

Kody

Here you go Jimmi!  I hope he don't mind, here's an example of somebody here who used the built-in mic to record acoustic drums with way above average results.  You may also want to check back in the "post your work" section for anything by Scorpios.....

I've tried this method before and it totally reeked, but this guy got it sounding great!

http://microrecorders.org/community/post-your-work/nothing-but-microbr/msg12023/#msg12023
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

chrisnickey64

why not just download free real drum loops here ...it's the best site on the internet for finding just the right drum sound for your song ...1000's of drum tracks to choose fro w/ more added every day!   www.wikiloops.com/tracks/Drums.php
recorder
Korg D1600mkII
www.goodtimeshow.com

na_th_an

It depends on what you want to achieve. If you want crystal-clear sound, you better find a multi-mic setup, pre-recorded tracks, or EZ-Drummer.

But if you, like me, enjoy lo-fi creativeness, you'll get nice results if you place your kit in a reverby room, and the BR sitting about 1 metre above ground, in the other corner of the room. With some fiddling in your audio editing tool the drums will sound massive and full.

Another thing you can try (albeit I agree that it can become a real PITA!) is to record the bass drum/snare/toms and the cymbals separately, using two tracks. This can be tricky, but you'll be able to get a much better mix. Think about the good ol' Joy Division guys - the drums in the records were recorded ONE DRUM/CYMBAL AT A TIME. Painful!

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Adobe Audition