Youtube blank screen

Started by banjaxed, July 16, 2013, 01:23:51 PM

banjaxed

Does anyone know why my screen goes blank when I try to play
a youtube video ? The pic is there until I press play then all I get
is the sound  ???

64Guitars

Just here at Songcrafters, or does the same thing happen when you view videos on the YouTube site?

Which web browser are you using? Is it up-to-date? Have you tried another browser? Sometimes websites use features that aren't supported in all browsers. So the first thing to do when you're having trouble with a site is to try the same site with a few different browsers. If some browsers work and others don't, then it's just a compatibility issue. That may mean that you need to update your browser, or switch to a different one if the site is important to you. If it's not that important, then you could just put up with the site's problems for a while until your browser eventually gets updated with proper support for the problem feature.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

alfstone

Quote from: 64Guitars on July 16, 2013, 01:38:46 PMJust here at Songcrafters, or does the same thing happen when you view videos on the YouTube site?

Which web browser are you using? Is it up-to-date? Have you tried another browser?

Same things here since today.

Using Firefox: no video, both on SC and on YouTube; on SC the flash audio player has disappeared too, the banners image are gone...
On Internet Explorer no problem at all. So probably something in the Adobe Flash player's last version AND Firefox is creating these problems...

Alfredo

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Tascam DP-24
recorder
Logic Pro
recorder
Adobe Audition
http://soundcloud.com/alfredo-de-pietra 
http://www.flickr.com/photos/26939208@N03/

banjaxed

On the youtube site there are no problems, just on Songcrafters.
Just updated to the latest Adobe flash player, but had the same
problem before that.

64Guitars

Quote from: alfstone on July 16, 2013, 01:58:00 PMUsing Firefox: no video, both on SC and on YouTube; on SC the flash audio player has disappeared too, the banners image are gone.

Quote from: banjaxed on July 16, 2013, 02:03:37 PMOn the youtube site there are no problems, just on Songcrafters.
Just updated to the latest Adobe flash player, but had the same
problem before that.

You're getting different results. Alfredo says the problem occurs both on Songcrafters and on YouTube. Banjaxed says he has no problems on YouTube; just on Songcrafters he has problems. Alfredo is using Firefox. Banjaxed has not said which browser he's using. It might also help to know which operating systems you're both using. I'm guessing that Alfredo uses an Apple OS but I'm not certain. Apple does not support Flash (at least not on iOS) and our YouTube player depends on Flash, so it won't work with iOS.

Recent versions of Firefox (21 and 22) running under Windows Vista, 7, and 8 will try to play videos using built-in support from the operating system. That might explain why it's working when Banjaxed goes to the YouTube site because Flash is not needed (assuming he's using Windows Vista, 7, or 8). But the YouTube player here at Songcrafters requires Flash. If Flash was recently updated on your computer and has a problem, our YouTube player probably won't work.

I'm using Firefox 22.0 running under Ubuntu with Flash 11.2.202.297 which is the latest version of Flash available for Linux since Adobe dropped support for it. The latest version for Windows is 11.8.800.94 which I believe was released on July 9th, so that might be the version that's causing these problems. I'm having no problems at all with the version I'm using (11.2).

Quote from: alfstone on July 16, 2013, 01:58:00 PMthe banners image are gone.

Try clearing the browser's cache. I suspect that that will fix the banner problem.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/how-clear-firefox-cache

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

cuthbert

I'm on a MacBookPro with 10.8, and in Firefox 22 songs are loading in the old Flash player and the youtube videos here play back correctly with video and audio. Flash Player 11.7.  Safari 6.0.5 uses the HTML5 audio player, and youtube videos on Songcrafters play correctly in Safari as well.

I'll check on Windows and let you know what I find.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

cuthbert

Okay, on Windows 7 using Firefox 22, I get the HTML5 audio player...and it doesn't play. I assume because whatever FF is falling back on, it can't find what it needs to actually play it. If I switch to the old Flash audio player, then it plays back. On this same system, youtube through our widget plays back correctly. Flash Player version 11.8.

On IE9, it defaults to the Flash audio player, and again, youtube is fine.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

64Guitars

Quote from: cuthbert on July 16, 2013, 04:41:53 PMOkay, on Windows 7 using Firefox 22, I get the HTML5 audio player...and it doesn't play. I assume because whatever FF is falling back on, it can't find what it needs to actually play it.

There's a setting in about:config to toggle the new feature. Search for "media.windows-media-foundation.enabled". If set to 'false' it should work just like old versions of Firefox (ie; it will fall back to the Flash player automatically). If set to 'true' it will try to play the MP3 with the built-in support of the Windows Media Foundation framework.

I have a hunch that the Windows Media Foundation support for MP3 only works when the URL ends in ".mp3". But our attachments don't have any file extension. We discovered that problem with IE9, which is why I ended up making it always fall back to the Flash player. I'm not sure if the problem still exists in IE10 but it might, especially if it's actually the Media Foundation that has the problem, rather than the web browser.

Here are two instances of the same song to test with. The first one uses a URL that ends in MP3. It should work in Firefox 22 under Windows Vista, 7, and 8 if Media Foundation is enabled (which is the default, I believe), using our HTML5 player. The second one uses the URL of an attachment which has no file extension. It should work with the HTML5 player too but I suspect that it won't. Both songs should work with the Flash player (when Media Foundation support is disabled).

Time:
0:00
Volume:

Time:
0:00
Volume:

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

cuthbert

Hmmm...

I set media.windows-media-foundation.enabled in Firefox to "true", and both of the above players are Flash players. But other song posts uploaded to our servers show the HTML5 audio player, and now that I've set it to "true", they are actually playing in Firefox 22 on Win7.

I believe media.windows-media-foundation.enabled was originally set to "false" on my browser (but I'm not 100% positive - I was also doing some work at the time), so I don't know why it was showing the HTML5 audio player and it would not play. I do know that after setting it to "true" if I set it back to "false", it does load the song in the Flash audio player by default.

Confused...  ::)
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

64Guitars

Quote from: cuthbert on July 16, 2013, 07:32:50 PMI set media.windows-media-foundation.enabled in Firefox to "true", and both of the above players are Flash players.

Oops! That's my mistake. I forgot that the [singlemp3][/singlemp3] tags only use the Flash player. The HTML5 player will never appear in any browser when the [singlemp3][/singlemp3] tags are used. I'll have to think of another way to test it.

Quote from: cuthbert on July 16, 2013, 07:32:50 PMBut other song posts uploaded to our servers show the HTML5 audio player, and now that I've set it to "true", they are actually playing in Firefox 22 on Win7.

It's good to know that the HTML5 player is working in Firefox 22 on Windows 7. Sounds like it defaults to "false" on that version of Firefox and will only work when you set it to "true". I'm surprised at that. I thought it would have defaulted to "true". Oh, well. At least we know it works, and if you were able to play regular song posts with attached MP3s, then I guess the ".mp3" extension isn't needed for Firefox afterall. That's good news!

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website