harmonicas ?????

Started by Oldrottenhead, July 11, 2013, 07:36:54 AM

Oldrottenhead

i was thinking of getting a harmonica, but should i buy a few, as they come in different keys. years ago i bought one and the sales assistant asked what key i would like it in. ?? anything sez i none the wiser. i think i musta got an F# or something cos it was useless, i couldn't use it to accompany anything.

so the crux of the question, should i buy one, say in the key of C , or a couple in different keys? or one for each key? i once saw neil young on tv and his pockets where bulging with different harmonicas.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

henwrench

Yeah, they come in different keys. So you'll need at least 3. I guess an A, an E and a C should cover most things for a while....

henwrench
The job of the artist is to deepen the mystery - Francis Bacon

English by birth, Brummie by the Grace of God

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Oldrottenhead

whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

thetworegs

If Life is a dream then use your imagination

Geir

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

64Guitars

You can also get a chromatic harmonica. They can play all 12 notes of the scale, so you can play in any key. I would imagine that they might be a bit harder to master than a blues harp, but they have the advantage that you don't need one for each key. See the following WikiPedia article for other pros and cons.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromatic_harmonica

I believe that John Lennon used a chromatic harmonica on many of The Beatles' early hits such as Love Me Do. Stevie Wonder also played a chromatic.

But chromatics are expensive, so you might be better off with a set of blues harps, as suggested by others.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

na_th_an

Thomann sells a set with all 12 keys and it's not too expensive:

http://www.thomann.de/es/harley_benton_blues_harp_set.htm

I have a friend who bought it and doesn't have complains.

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Adobe Audition

ODH

Quote from: 64Guitars on July 11, 2013, 08:36:37 AMStevie Wonder also played a chromatic.

Stevie Wonder's like a harmonica god though, a harmonica SME.

I had a chromatic many years ago, couldn't get my head around it at all.  Having said that I was never much cop with a regular blues harp either.  How do you get the notes to bend?
Overdrive - Distortion - Hyperactivity
Yesterdays shatter, tomorrows don't matter

na_th_an

That's like black magic to me. And I have tried.

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Adobe Audition

Oldrottenhead

whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
- Robert Schumann