audacity help :P

Started by Guitar-Maniac, February 22, 2009, 01:07:38 PM

Guitar-Maniac

hey, not sure if this goes here but,
lets say i've mastered every on the Mbr and want to futher
edit it on audacity, is there a way to separate guitar tracks?

cheers.
Heavy Metal all the WAY!
Oh yea... bodybuilding too :D

64Guitars

Unmix the mix?  No, it's not possible.  However, if you've still got the original tracks on the Micro BR or in a backup, you can export each track to a separate WAV file and import them into Audacity. Then all of the tracks will be separate in Audacity, just as they were in the Micro BR, and you can edit or process each track without affecting the others.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

AlchemyMN

Quote from: Guitar-Maniac on February 22, 2009, 01:07:38 PMhey, not sure if this goes here but,
lets say i've mastered every on the Mbr and want to futher
edit it on audacity, is there a way to separate guitar tracks?

You will have to import each track individually to an Audacity track.  No way of separating from a mastered mix.

You can either save each track, move to the PC, then import into Audacity OR connect a stereo mini-plug from the M-BR out put and run a stereo mini-plug into the input jack on your CP and record directly to Audacity.  I recommend saving each track and moving the file to the PC rather than re-recording with Audacity.

Guitar-Maniac

actually 1 more question, after i've recorded a 'track' should i
send it to the pc and mix it using audacity then back to the Br for futher editing/mastering or do i master it first then send it audacity.

Hope this is making sense.

Thanks again.
Heavy Metal all the WAY!

AlchemyMN

Quote from: Guitar-Maniac on February 22, 2009, 01:54:19 PMactually 1 more question, after i've recorded a 'track' should i
send it to the pc and mix it using audacity then back to the Br for futher editing/mastering or do i master it first then send it audacity.

Hope this is making sense.

Thanks again.

It depends...

What exactly are you doing to the track when you say "mix it?"

I try and do as much as possible on the M-BR and use Audacity to fix fades, noise, volume spikes/drops, etc in the Mastered song.  There are many people here on the forum who are so good at the features of the M-BR they have no need for Audacity.

Guitar-Maniac

what i really meant was mastering, playing with the mixes etc...
should i be doing this first b4 audacity? because what im after is
like a short fade in on a guitar part. ( halfway thru the song )

Can't really achieve a well balaced fade in with the guitar knob

Edit: also why would i import the track using Wav instead of mp3?
Heavy Metal all the WAY!

AlchemyMN

Quote from: Guitar-Maniac on February 22, 2009, 02:39:55 PMwhat i really meant was mastering, playing with the mixes etc...
should i be doing this first b4 audacity? because what im after is
like a short fade in on a guitar part. ( halfway thru the song )

Can't really achieve a well balaced fade in with the guitar knob

Edit: also why would i import the track using Wav instead of mp3?

A short fade on the guitar - I would use Audacity just on that track (as a Wav file) and then bring it back into the M-BR.  Only if you can't move the track volume up and down fast enough on the M-BR.

What you are describing, I call "Track editing" - effects, volume, pan, EQ, etc. on a single track.

"Mixing" is when you are working on multiple tracks - adjusting volumes, pan, etc.

"Mastering" is the overall EQ and effects applied ot the mix, final volume, etc.

Guitar-Maniac

ok i got it, thanks alot for your time and help
-cheers
Heavy Metal all the WAY!