Vote for the Jul/Aug 2013 "Artists/Covers" festival

Started by 64Guitars, June 25, 2013, 10:06:47 PM

64Guitars

It's time to vote for our next two festivals which will run from July 1 to August 31. Voting starts now and runs for 5 days. You can change your vote any time until the closing of the poll on July 1st. To do so, click "Remove vote" to cancel your previous vote, then vote again.

This poll is for the "Artists/Covers" festival. There is a separate poll for the "Theme/Genre" festival here:

https://songcrafters.org/community/index.php?topic=18802.0

Please vote in both polls.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

64Guitars

He shouldn't have gone solo - Solo outings for band members that should have known better (keith richards, chris squire etc.) Doesn't include bands that broke up then members went solo. Solo outing must be during period band was together. So no Peter Gabriel after he left genesis for example. But you could have Steve Howe's solo stuff from when he was still in Yes.

B sides - Must be a B side of a 45rpm single.

SuggestFest - See https://songcrafters.org/community/index.php?topic=4112.msg227511#msg227511

KinksFest - Covers of songs by The Kinks or solo projects by members of The Kinks.

MusicYouHateFest - Silk purse from a sow's ear. Make a great song out of a really awful song.

Elvis Presley - Covers of songs by Elvis.

TV theme songs - Covers of TV theme songs (obviously).

ShowtuneFest - Songs from musicals. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Show_tunes.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

steelguitar

SuggestFest is a great idea!!!
"  henwrench would very much like to SuggestFest that Mr(s) 64Guitars does play the 'Coronation Street' theme...

henwrench would very really be pleased if a certain Mr cuthbert do renditions of 'Take It Easy' by them Eagles..

henwrench would do some kind of back flip if Geir was kind enough to play 'I'm Still Standing' by Elton John
"
 ;D
Jean-Sébastien
recorder
Boss Micro BR

"I'm sitting on a comet / Slowing speed / I'm landing on your planet / On your land of weed" Daniel (de Sète)

https://www.facebook.com/TheMAUSS

kenny mac

Only thing is I would suggest that there is only 1 song that a songcrafter can pick out of his suggestions as we could get an albums worth from one guy or girl that everybody is putting suggestions to.
Everyone should get a fair crack of the whip and have at least one nomination to choose from.

64Guitars

Quote from: kenny mac on June 26, 2013, 07:28:08 AMOnly thing is I would suggest that there is only 1 song that a songcrafter can pick out of his suggestions as we could get an albums worth from one guy or girl that everybody is putting suggestions to.

I don't see that as a problem. We've never limited the number of songs that any member can post in previous festivals, so I don't see any reason to do it now. If someone gets 10 suggestions and wants to do them all (and has the time), then I think that's okay. In reality, I think most people aren't going to like all of the suggestions put to them and will just pick one or two that they like. And even if they do like all of them, most people won't have time to do more than a few.

Quote from: kenny mac on June 26, 2013, 07:28:08 AMEveryone should get a fair crack of the whip and have at least one nomination to choose from.

Yes. That's my biggest concern. Inevitably, some members won't get any suggestions. So what do they do if they want to have a song in the festival? The only thing I can think of is for them to post a message asking for suggestions. It's not ideal. Some people might feel a bit embarrassed that they have to ask. But I can't think of any better way of handling it.

And members who only get one or two suggestions and don't like any of them could also post a message requesting more suggestions.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Oldrottenhead

if anyone is daft enough to suggest something for me, i'd be looking fur hawnners.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

64Guitars

In henny's original post about the SuggestFest idea, he mentioned that suggestions could be made by posting them or by PM. The admin team discussed this a bit and we think that PMs should be discouraged. We think it would be more interesting if we make a new topic in General Discussion specifically for suggestions and everyone posts their suggestions there. That way, others can see the suggestions and add their support if it's something they'd like to hear as well. The same topic could also be used for people to request some suggestions for themselves if they haven't got any or they just got a couple and didn't particularly like them.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

64Guitars

Quote from: oldrottenhead on June 26, 2013, 12:21:49 PMif anyone is daft enough to suggest something for me, i'd be looking fur hawnners.

I wish Google Translate did Scottish-to-English translations. :)

What's a "hawnner"? I searched a few online Scottish glossaries but it wasn't in any of them. ???

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Oldrottenhead

hawners = handers or in the common anglais = assistance. if for example i was asked to do a track from the yes album tales from topographic oceans unless folk where expecting a minamalised version, i would ask jarle to do drums , flash harry to do bass and geir and greeny to share guitar and backing vox,. then i could warble over the top of it
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann