Anyone released an Album of Original Songs before?

Started by KILLBEAR, June 21, 2013, 12:07:35 PM

StephenM

Quote from: bruno on January 01, 2016, 04:15:00 PMLeigh - I listened to a few of your tracks, and really enjoyed what I heard - very much so.

For me, never really bothered to take my music into a formatted album. Years ago, I did an EP/CD as part of a band, but that's about it. I love Songcrafters as it gives me a reason to produce, share, collaborate and make new like minded friends. I 'do' music it coz I've always done it and I can't imagine not doing it. I reached a point in my life when there doesn't need to be a reason, I do it because I enjoy it, I have a passion for it. The only person I need to satisfy is myself (or if I'm collaborating, the person(s) whom I am collaborating with). If people don't like it, that's okay - if people like it - that's great. I almost don't want to make money from it (if you get what I mean). I've grown weary of 'the dream' years ago, to the point where I stopped playing - until I released the only person I need to satisfy is myself. I don't like 'scenes' with  petty politics - I have no time or respect for that.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to be anyone's mug, however I like the idea of giving what I can do back for free. I also like the idea that if there is no money involved (however small) - I have absolute freedom to  do what I feel like, whatever floats my boat, however experimental. I think that pays off as (imo) you can always push your own boundaries - change and grow as a musician. I think that's what I enjoy more that anything. Not sure if I'll put together a CD - that would require a polished end product, and that would require significant effort - perhaps one day. However, at the moment - I'm having way too much fun. A confession. I will admit to listening to my own music, when I'm alone in the car, turning it up and thinking "well that ain't half bad, imo" and simply enjoying the music - even the mistakes blend into the character of the track after a while.  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Apologies for the ramble.

Rock on.
B

same for me...I play just because I like it...and record and share wherever in hopes that someone will actually like it...as I have liked others...and songcrafters is indeed a great outlet for that...and I am so glad I found it...

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

Frank53

I released an album/CD in 2011 (pictures attached), and I'm preparing my second one now.
So, I should be releasing my 3rd in another 10 years or so.  ;D

There are only three kinds of drummers. Those who can count, and those who can't.

T.C. Elliott

I "released" one via distrokid last year with a collaborator from Washington State. With no "marketing" of any kind it just kind of sits there.

I have the beginnings of two more that could be finished relatively soon(ish.) Well, the beginning of one and the middle of another. It's a matter of making it a priority. I've also been requested to release a book of my (Almost) Daily Writing prompts but not sure how to go about doing that on the cheap. Too many projects, not enough time.
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

maxit

I counted them down, I released 6 studio albums. In the last 10 years, I found out that going to the recording studio is by far funnier than home recording (mostly cause you involve some friends in the challenge) and makes you somehow a better composer (this I couldn't explain exactly why) ...
recorder
Audacity

bostjan

Since my last post, I've learned a lot.

I've now released 11 official albums.  More than 80% of those were in the last five years.  That doesn't include singles, EP's, or whatever people generally don't consider albums.

I've had some garner a lot more critical acclaim than I could have ever expected, and I've had some get completely lambasted, but the two homemade releases that have the most downloads are the two that I just floated out there without any promotion.  The one with the fewest downloads was the one for which I did the least non-zero amount of promotion.  But in any case, the numbers are all what I consider meager.  As much as I like money, I'm never expecting to turn a profit on anything music-related anymore, nor break even, for that matter, but I love seeing that someone downloaded an album I made.  If no one listens to a song, why bother making it?

I remember way back, I played in a band and we had a demo.  We used that demo to book shows.  At the time, we had one of the first consumer CD burners, and we were able to pay for it from copies of our demo that we sold at shows.  It was just a printed piece of paper, folded, laminated, with a  CDR tossed in with sharpie on it identifying the disc.  We bought spools of hundreds of CDRs and had no problem selling them at shows for $10 each.  Yeah, we didn't really make a profit overall, since spools of CDRs were expensive and the CD burner was over $1000 US dollars... but now there are no shows to play, or, if you do play an outdoor thing, there's hardly anyone there and no one comes near enough to see the merchandise.  Even before the pandemic, I'd have CDs and USB sticks and t-shirts professionally done, play the show, and maybe sell one or two tee shirts, but no music.

StephenM

Quote from: bostjan on September 22, 2020, 09:13:07 AMSince my last post, I've learned a lot.

I've now released 11 official albums.  More than 80% of those were in the last five years.  That doesn't include singles, EP's, or whatever people generally don't consider albums.

I've had some garner a lot more critical acclaim than I could have ever expected, and I've had some get completely lambasted, but the two homemade releases that have the most downloads are the two that I just floated out there without any promotion.  The one with the fewest downloads was the one for which I did the least non-zero amount of promotion.  But in any case, the numbers are all what I consider meager.  As much as I like money, I'm never expecting to turn a profit on anything music-related anymore, nor break even, for that matter, but I love seeing that someone downloaded an album I made.  If no one listens to a song, why bother making it?

I remember way back, I played in a band and we had a demo.  We used that demo to book shows.  At the time, we had one of the first consumer CD burners, and we were able to pay for it from copies of our demo that we sold at shows.  It was just a printed piece of paper, folded, laminated, with a  CDR tossed in with sharpie on it identifying the disc.  We bought spools of hundreds of CDRs and had no problem selling them at shows for $10 each.  Yeah, we didn't really make a profit overall, since spools of CDRs were expensive and the CD burner was over $1000 US dollars... but now there are no shows to play, or, if you do play an outdoor thing, there's hardly anyone there and no one comes near enough to see the merchandise.  Even before the pandemic, I'd have CDs and USB sticks and t-shirts professionally done, play the show, and maybe sell one or two tee shirts, but no music.

Bostjan....so many great points here... I make music because I love to..and I listen to music because i love to... and to actually know a little about or to perhaps know the musicians is even more special.  So for me as well.... If there is 1 person who really digs my song or songs it is worthwhile... and they are out there the trick is to find them... SC has been a great outlet for me.  BTW... I really like your song Better Off Alone

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24

pjd1

I did the distrokid thing and put 3 songs on there and earned 3 pounds !!! great for a year or so, the high point for me , i was in liverpool on a night out with family and friends , goes into a pub asked if they had  spotify ,  they said yes , can you put my music on, they said yes no problem , next thing my songs was playing in the pub , quality !! no one liked it though :(

recorder
Boss BR-800

Cheers
Happiness is a warm ES 335, Boss BR800, Tascam dp 24 , Boss Micro , Fender Strat 70s original, Line 6 classical modeling guitar, yamaha ps 125 keyboard. Hohner Bass guitar.

recorder
Tascam DP-24

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-8

StephenM

Quote from: pjd1 on September 23, 2020, 01:31:03 PMI did the distrokid thing and put 3 songs on there and earned 3 pounds !!! great for a year or so, the high point for me , i was in liverpool on a night out with family and friends , goes into a pub asked if they had  spotify ,  they said yes , can you put my music on, they said yes no problem , next thing my songs was playing in the pub , quality !! no one liked it though :(
PJD....the problem with music and audiences is that usually people have to hear things a few times or more before they like it...  man though... your Guaraparo I loved from note 1... fantastic. 

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24