New jukebox coming soon

Started by 64Guitars, June 10, 2013, 02:47:25 PM

Tangled Wires

Quote from: cuthbert on June 12, 2013, 10:45:44 AMEven though my song post count for 2012 was pretty dismal, I still think it's a great idea.

Same here :)

recorder
Boss Micro BR

64Guitars

I wonder if my concern over the number of songs in the jukebox is unwarranted. Maybe we should just set the minimum at 3 like BB suggested and not worry about the number of songs it results in. That way, nearly everyone can get a song in the jukebox if they want to.

The reason I'm worried about the number of songs is that I think it could seem a bit overwhelming, especially to newbies and visitors who want to get a taste of what Songcrafters has to offer. For example, the original BeatlesFest jukebox has 216 songs in it. If the Best of Songcrafters jukebox had a similar number, wouldn't newbies and visitors tend to listen to just the first few songs and skip the rest? If so, doesn't that sort of defeat the purpose?

Also, when I think back to the days when I used to buy albums regularly, I recall that I usually (though, not always) never got into double albums like I did with regular albums. It just seemed like too much to take in. The song count on single albums was better because I could listen to the whole album in one sitting, then listen to it again a short while later. This repetition helped me get into the songs more easily.

And I like Bruno's idea of making a Best of Songcrafters CD that people can download. But how can we do that if we have too many songs? I suppose we could just include the songs from the most active posters to whatever will fit on the CD. So the less active song posters won't be on the CD but they'd be in the jukebox. And we could perhaps have two or three volumes in separate CDs. It still wouldn't be enough to include everyone, I think, but it might be a reasonable compromise.

I don't know. What does everyone think about the number of songs to include in the jukebox?

Another thing that occurred to me is that many of the members who posted songs in 2012 might no longer be visiting the site. If they don't know about the jukebox, they won't be able to submit one of their songs for inclusion in it. I guess I could send out a mass email to all members. Maybe that would get a few to come back.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Burtog

I've been thinking of how this would work for a few days, still not sure what I think, does it random play the songs that are in it or is it a listing of the songs and you pick what you want?

I've always liked the way you are met with Geir's song on the homepage but what if a song begins to play automatically as you get to the homepage - sort of like the random dozen in member Jukeboxes playing as you read?. Could members have the opportunity to add up to 3 songs a year for every year they have been a member?

More Radio than Jukebox...........................maybe i'm getting on the wrong track, no pun intended.
recorder
Boss BR-800

64Guitars

Quote from: Burtog on June 12, 2013, 03:12:02 PMI've been thinking of how this would work for a few days, still not sure what I think, does it random play the songs that are in it or is it a listing of the songs and you pick what you want?

All of the jukeboxes (I think) have a shuffle button that you can click to hear the songs in random order. It's normally off by default but I could easily make it default to on for the Best of Songcrafters jukebox. Unfortunately, shuffle mode doesn't seem to work properly. It seems to pick 4 or 5 songs randomly, then repeats those same songs, ignoring the rest. So I think I'll leave it off initially and the listener will have to either listen to the songs in the order they're presented or select the individual songs manually.

But things are improving in the HTML5 world and I'm hoping to create a better player for the jukeboxes later this year using HTML5. Since I won't have to rely on someone else's Flash player, I'll be able to make a shuffle mode that works correctly.

Quote from: Burtog on June 12, 2013, 03:12:02 PMI've always liked the way you are met with Geir's song on the homepage but what if a song begins to play automatically as you get to the homepage - sort of like the random dozen in member Jukeboxes playing as you read?. Could members have the opportunity to add up to 3 songs a year for every year they have been a member?

More Radio than Jukebox...........................maybe i'm getting on the wrong track, no pun intended.

Some people have told me they find it annoying when they go to sites and music starts playing automatically every time. I tend to agree, so we probably won't do that.

But you have given me an idea. I might think about making a jukebox for the front page that selects songs randomly from the Best of Songcrafters playlist. Initially, we'll only have the 2012 jukebox. But as other years are added, it could randomly select from all of them. That might be cool.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Hilary

Quote from: Bluesberry on June 11, 2013, 12:45:27 PMThe only hard part of this is the average part, I agree.  It is hard to come up with a magic number that represents entry into such a jukebox.  It might be better to just pick a number.....like maybe 3 songs........3 songs or more posted in a year and your in.....something like that.  

Quote from: Hilary on June 11, 2013, 12:42:25 PMAs I said, I'll either be excluded or I'll abstain - that's cool.
Haylie, I would love to have what you consider your best song included in such a jukebox, it would be missed if not there.  I don't see why you would be excluded, you put up lots of songs, a heck of a lot more than me lately.

I'm not having a hissy fit, it just doesn't sit well with me that people might be excluded that would want to participate. I don't think that's the right way to go for a community and I would feel bad about those that have been excluded that might have some incredible songs. I think it might also make some members resentful if they are one of the ones excluded.

I think 3 songs and your in, is a great idea as most people would be included (albeit it might be a long Jukebox) and the random play idea is great too - if the jukebox is long, for example, songs at the bottom might not get as much action as those at the top and that would sort the problem.

I do think it might clog-up the boards with old songs though (look at the second Beatlesfest) and I thought the whole ethos for SC was about making new music - but that's not an objection, merely an observation.

recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça

Oldrottenhead

i think everyone should get a song on the thingy

i fecking love this place
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Rata-tat-tat

Quote from: oldrottenhead on June 12, 2013, 05:57:50 PMi think everyone should get a song on the thingy

i fecking love this place

Mornin Jim... HOWS YER HID???
recorder
Tascam DP-02

henwrench

Quote from: Burtog on June 12, 2013, 03:12:02 PMMore Radio than Jukebox......................

That's hit the nail on the head for me. A Best Of Songcrafters Radio Player. Each member nominates say 2-3 songs that are entered into the player and all tunes are played randomly WHEN PROMPTED. Yea, I hate sites that automatically start playing shit. I wanna press 'play' myself. The radio player could even be employed as a pop-out? That maybe very difficult to do though...I know nothing of these things.

We will still have the issue of members who choose to host off-site, myself being one. As I've said before, I use alonetone because I can offer the listener the highest possible sound quality. Soundcloud is shit. (Listen to the high-end warble....pah!!)

One feature I personally miss, was the Song Of The Day. I loved that. I don't know how each song was chosen but I'd been an active member for a long old time before the honour was bestowed upon me and I was really proud when I finally achieved this. It was a Good Day.

henwrench

The job of the artist is to deepen the mystery - Francis Bacon

English by birth, Brummie by the Grace of God

recorder
Boss Micro BR

IanR

Quote from: 64Guitars on June 12, 2013, 02:59:10 PMI don't know. What does everyone think about the number of songs to include in the jukebox?

I suggest that we run a survey for a few days and find out.

I predict the result will be between 0-3

Ian

recorder
PreSonus Studio 1824
recorder
PreSonus FaderPort 8
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

Kenny B

Quote from: henwrench on June 13, 2013, 03:32:35 AM
Quote from: Burtog on June 12, 2013, 03:12:02 PMMore Radio than Jukebox......................

That's hit the nail on the head for me. A Best Of Songcrafters Radio Player. Each member nominates say 2-3 songs that are entered into the player and all tunes are played randomly WHEN PROMPTED. Yea, I hate sites that automatically start playing shit. I wanna press 'play' myself. The radio player could even be employed as a pop-out? That maybe very difficult to do though...I know nothing of these things.

YES!!! ...  "Songcrafter Radio" ... this was something I was thinking could be the future
a couple years ago when I was floored by all the talent and new tunes on this site ...

Maybe sending this off topic but ...

I could imagine tuning into a webpage with a current limited number of Songcrafter
songs being played.  This would allow all current members to place 1 song at a time
and change it occasionally.  This would only be for active members (To Be Determined)
and may only have 50 or 100 or however many ...

Disclaimer:  I have been a developer for a few decades and have dealt with some
ludicrous requests ... so feel free to dismiss my ideas as it is quite fun acting as
a user/client at times ...  ;D ;D ;D  ... just sharing my thoughts.
recorder
Zoom MRS-1266
recorder
Boss Micro BR