New jukebox coming soon

Started by 64Guitars, June 10, 2013, 02:47:25 PM

Bluesberry

The only hard part of this is the average part, I agree.  It is hard to come up with a magic number that represents entry into such a jukebox.  It might be better to just pick a number.....like maybe 3 songs........3 songs or more posted in a year and your in.....something like that.  

Quote from: Hilary on June 11, 2013, 12:42:25 PMAs I said, I'll either be excluded or I'll abstain - that's cool.
Haylie, I would love to have what you consider your best song included in such a jukebox, it would be missed if not there.  I don't see why you would be excluded, you put up lots of songs, a heck of a lot more than me lately.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

bruno

I think its a fab idea - can it be "Now, that's what I call Songcrafters 2013" :-)

I think its well thought out, and a simple idea. Personally, I'd like it to be downloadable and to be able to burn to a CD (double album!), art work and all. Hell, do it each and every year. I stick that on in my car, and I wouldn't care if I wasn't on it. Stuff like this promotes this site, and keeps it alive. Its a great idea. Nothing is perfect, and you can't please all of the people all of the time - so take on face value, if it doesn't work, nothing is lost.

Go Songcrafters!

B

recorder
Boss BR-1600

64Guitars

Quote from: Bluesberry on June 11, 2013, 12:45:27 PMThe only hard part of this is the average part, I agree.  It is hard to come up with a magic number that represents entry into such a jukebox.  It might be better to just pick a number.....like maybe 3 songs........3 songs or more posted in a year and your in.....something like that.

I don't think the number will be equal to the average. That was just something that IanR mentioned, and I think his point was that the number chosen should not be higher than the average as it would exclude too many members. I agree with that. I might calculate an average out of interest but the actual number we decide on will most likely be much lower than the average.

What we don't want is to have no minimum at all. There are a lot of members who have only posted one song. To call that one song their best is a bit ridiculous. It's a bit like telling your father he's the best dad you've ever had. Not a very meaningful statement. :)  And some of those people joined the site, posted their song (or maybe even a few), then never returned to the site. I don't think they should be included because they're not at all representative of the general Songcrafter membership. They were never really a part of the community because they didn't stick around. Also, if we didn't have a minimum, I suspect that there would be several hundred members who'd qualify for the jukebox. I think that would be too much. Better to have a more manageable number of songs in the jukebox. What that number should be, I don't know.  Maybe what I'll do is see how many members posted 3 or more songs in 2012. If the number's not too big, we'll go with that. But if it's huge, then I'll try 5 and see what number of members that produces. If it's still huge, I might try 10, and so on till I find a number that seems reasonable for the jukebox. In any case, I won't decide the number myself. I'll present the numbers to the rest of the admin team and we'll decide together.

Quote from: Bluesberry on June 11, 2013, 12:45:27 PMI don't see why you would be excluded, you put up lots of songs

I was thinking the same thing. In fact, I had a quick look at the list of songs posted in 2012 by Haylie and I can't imagine how she could possibly be excluded. I'm sure her song post count was well above the average.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

64Guitars

Quote from: bruno on June 11, 2013, 01:26:25 PMPersonally, I'd like it to be downloadable and to be able to burn to a CD (double album!), art work and all.

That's a great idea! However, it will depend on how many songs are in the jukebox. If it's a manageable number like a double album's worth, then I could make an ISO CD image and post it on my SkyDrive account with instructions on how to burn it to a CD. But if there are too many songs in the jukebox, it might be a problem. Perhaps the idea of making a CD might be a factor in deciding on the minimum songs required. If we can keep the number of songs in the jukebox down to what will fit on a CD, that would be great! I suppose we could have several CDs (vol 1, vol 2, etc.) but that could introduce other problems, like how do we decide who goes on which CD? It might be best to just have one CD if we can.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Hook

Quote from: 64Guitars on June 11, 2013, 01:35:36 PM
Quote from: Bluesberry on June 11, 2013, 12:45:27 PMIt's a bit like telling your father he's the best dad you've ever had. Not a very meaningful statement. .

Are you saying that I'm not the best dad!!!!!! I got a mug and a hat....

Other than that I love the idea and would love the disc or playlist on my mp3, triple disc, quadruple disc, it don't matter! When you do the average just don't even use ORH's  total  and your # should be reasonable.
Rock On with your over achieving ass!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

Rata-tat-tat

64 this is a great idea... the only issue I see is the post count. A person like myself may not meet the cutoff... I get involved in more collabs than solo projects. Will the count be bassed on what you post or is there a way to count the total number you were involved in including collabs?
recorder
Tascam DP-02

64Guitars

Good question. I'll have to talk it over with the rest of the admin team before we decide officially, but I would imagine that collabs should be okay as long as they're with other members of Songcrafters. We can't very well have a Best of Songcrafters jukebox that includes people who aren't even members. But, if I remember right, all of your collabs were with other members, and you posted quite a few songs in 2012, so you should have no problem.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Greeny

If nothing else, I think it'll be interesting to see what song each of the participants chooses - i.e. the difference between how we rate our own songs and how others see them. I think it'll throw up a few suprises.

Personally, I think this is a lovely idea.

Oldrottenhead

of my songs,all my worst ones are my solo efforts, the better ones are collabs lol.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

cuthbert

Even though my song post count for 2012 was pretty dismal, I still think it's a great idea.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase