Started by Vaisvil, June 05, 2013, 07:27:31 PM

Vaisvil

Time:
0:00
Volume:

phantasm777

weird, almost spacey acoustic! groovy!

Vaisvil

Thanks - its my electric 12 str - Peavey Milestone 12 - again.

Hi Chris, very trippy sound. I always wanted a twelve string, this might just make my mind up. Good work with the vocals............Willie
recorder
Boss BR-800

Bluesberry

I can't wrap my mind around it, waves of clashing crashing bashing my brain with points of sound.....tiny points all pointing at my brain......poking me into a funny dizzy state.......dizzy, I feel downright dizzy from this..........yet I can't turn away........what does it all mean....how does one construct such a thing........coherence and randomness and ........... what-the-hell-ness......weirdly moving stuff this is.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Vaisvil

Hi Bluesberry,

Let me try to answer your question assuming you really want to know how I made this song.

The whole this is a stream of conciseness type affair - its all improvised - vocal / rhythm and then I went back and added the ebow track (on the same 12 string guitar - see my Peavey milestone 12 string post in Guitars and Basses)

I had vague thoughts about being unhappy with some recent dealings with my ex which sort of solidified along the way but most of the "lyrics" is really scat singing http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scat_singing

But of some of the identifiable words were "clay into glass" from which the title comes from.

The keys of the song is a vague E minor-ish to D major to A minor used rather interchangably. Essentially you can play almost anything from those keys together and it wont sound too bad - but the harmony is not functional like, say The Who but more modal like some of Jimmy Page's work on Zep III

When I was much younger I used to write books and books of prose and poems

Often I'd set up a stereo cassette recorder with the mic through an echoplex into one channel and the guitar straight in to the other channel and play nonstop for 45 minutes until the tape or the book ran out. Its in part how I learned to play, certainly how I learned to improvise.

This song is an echo of that period.  So I did it by just siting down and letting it flow out. In a lot of ways its crude, but it has meaning for me.

Hilary

Oh I like this and thanks for explaining how you did it. It's a real skill being able to improvise and just let whatever come out, it's kind of an altered state thing. This reminds me of Native American Indian chanting, which I love. It's not about the words, it's about the emotion and you wear your heart on your sleeve.

:D

It's like your soul needs this song to heal . . .
recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça

Bluesberry

Quote from: Vaisvil on June 11, 2013, 08:15:32 PMHi Bluesberry,

Let me try to answer your question assuming you really want to know how I made this song.
Yes, I really wanted to know how to craft such a monster sound.  Thanks.  Its weirdly moving.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand