A question to the SC Staff : What is this new player? It don't work ...

Started by steelguitar, May 23, 2013, 03:48:20 AM

steelguitar

This morning, I saw that there is a new player on songcrafters to listen to the songs in mp3 submitted by members.
For me, it don't work, so I chooze to click on "old player" to listen to something...
Jean-Sébastien
recorder
Boss Micro BR

"I'm sitting on a comet / Slowing speed / I'm landing on your planet / On your land of weed" Daniel (de Sète)

https://www.facebook.com/TheMAUSS

Redler

I had similar problems with it, so I'm using the old player... Very often the new player just stops. It can work about minute, but then it freezes.
recorder
Korg Sound on Sound
Redler & Co   
recorder
Audacity

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

64Guitars

Actually, it's not a new player. We've had it since last September.

https://songcrafters.org/community/index.php?topic=16274.0

It uses HTML5 instead of Adobe Flash. Unfortunately, HTML5 audio is not standard across all of the popular browsers, so I had to make it fall back to the old Flash player in browsers that don't support MP3 audio in HTML5.

Firefox recently released version 21, which is probably what you're using. Starting with this version, Firefox supports MP3 audio in HTML5 by streaming it to codecs included in the operating system. Unfortunately, this currently only works in Windows 7 and Windows 8, Firefox for Android, and Firefox OS. Similar support for Vista is scheduled to be included in Firefox 22 which should be available sometime next month, I think.

If you're using Firefox 21 under Windows 7 or 8, Android, or Firefox OS, our HTML5 player should be working. If it's not, then there may be a bug in Firefox's implementation, or you may not have the necessary codec installed in your operating system. I can't debug this properly right now because I'm using Linux and the Linux version of Firefox doesn't have support for MP3s in HTML5 audio yet, though it's expected in the near future (maybe Firefox 22). When that happens, I'll look into this more thoroughly. Until then, just keep clicking the "old player" button.

It's possible that Firefox has the same problem we found with Internet Explorer 9. It will only play an MP3 file if it has the file extension ".mp3". That should not be a requirement since it already knows that the file is an MP3 by the MIME type sent via the HTML5 call. This is a problem for us since none of our attachments are stored with a file extension and there's no way for me to change that. If that's the problem with Firefox 21, then you might find that some songs stored offsite will work in the HTML5 player because the offsite file has the extension ".mp3". For example, give this song a try:

https://songcrafters.org/community/index.php?topic=18518.0

If that song works in the HTML5 player but songs attached to posts do not, then it looks like Firefox is relying on the file extension to determine the file type. That's a bug, in my opinion. It should use the MIME type to determine if the file is an MP3, not the file extension.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Ronniejm

Going just a wee bit off topic (and i,m sure this has probably been asked and answered before, apologies)

is there a reason the player stops after around two and a half minutes on the ipad, and is there a way to make it play a full song?
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Boss BR-800

My Jukebox

64Guitars

Quote from: Ronniejm on May 23, 2013, 03:07:27 PMis there a reason the player stops after around two and a half minutes on the ipad, and is there a way to make it play a full song?

Yes, that's been mentioned before: https://songcrafters.org/community/index.php?topic=17833.0

It seems to be only happening with Apple products (iPad and iPhone) but not consistently. The only things I can suggest are to make sure your iPad is up-to-date, and try pressing Pause just after the song starts, then wait a while till it buffers the whole song. Since the whole song will be in the buffer, it might play all the way through. The only other way I can think of is to download the song and play it on your iPad instead of using the Songcrafters player.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

kenny mac

Yeh ,I get that problem all the time with the iPad,sometimes if you download It ,it will play all the way through.
I normally end up back on the old trusty pc to listen to the songs.

64Guitars

I assume all of you Apple users who are having trouble with the player are using the Safari web browser that comes with iOS. Has anyone tried another browser on their iPad or iPhone? Maybe someone could give Chrome a try and see if that solves the problem. If it does, then we'd know that the problem is in Safari for iOS rather than in iOS itself.

http://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/browser/mobile/ios.html

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

kenny mac

No chrome doesn't make a difference,just downloaded it and tried it :'(

64Guitars

Quote from: kenny mac on May 24, 2013, 04:20:44 AMNo chrome doesn't make a difference,just downloaded it and tried it :'(

In that case, it sounds like a problem with iOS. I guess all you can do is keep it up-to-date and hope that they eventually fix it.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

64Guitars

I don't know if it will help, but the following page suggests a full power-down and restart.

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-help/40891-streeming-audio-stops-after-1-minute.html

Normally, when you press the Power button to turn off your iPad, it just goes to sleep. It's not really off. But using the method mentioned on that page will shut it off completely, so that when you turn it back on, you're re-starting the entire operating system (like a full reboot on a PC). Apparently, this can fix a lot of iPad issues. The writer of that article says that Apple and some web forums recommend that you do a full power-down at least once a week.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website