Anybody remember the group Renaissance?

Started by Blooby, April 27, 2013, 08:04:15 AM

Blooby

Time to get lambasted by the punkers in our midst.

I drove a couple hours last night to see Renaissance in Orlando.  Annie Haslam still has a glorious voice although there were a few parts where things seemed askew (mostly from a sketchy mix).  Fantastic band, faithfully recreating the album cuts.  The two keyboardists covered a lot of ground sonically, and the principle pianist was wonderful. A bit bittersweet as the date was rescheduled due to the death of Michael Dunford, the only other member of the most famous lineup.

I was again struck by the nerdiness of the spontaneous prog rock discussion groups (of which I was happily involved at times).  Topics included (but were not limited to) the current bassist's aping of the Jon Camp approach to playing, the classic lineup of Asia vs. the John Payne version, and whether Neal Morse's overt Christian messages detract or add to his music. I decided not to drink on this evening. In hindsight, I'm not sure I made the right choice.

As an aside, Jon Camp is till one of my favorite bassists.

As yet another aside, I must buy the shirt below for my next prog rock outing.

Blooby

64Guitars

I'd heard of Renaissance but I don't think I'd ever listened to their music before. They sound pretty good in those videos. Made me think of Curved Air and Gentle Giant, though I wouldn't go as far as to say they sound like them.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Oldrottenhead

my late father was a publican, and regular drinkers at his bar, would get drink on tick and pay for it on pay day. however a few guys would pay their bar bills with old lps which my dad would pass on to me. i probaly had the most eclectic album collection of any scottish teenager. amongst those lps was ashes are burning by renaissance, my personal fave on that album being  the opener "can you understand". cheers for reminding me of this one bruce.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwAPFbQVMgs
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Flash Harry

The only track to spring to mind is Northern Lights - I got mercilessly mocked by my punky mates for liking it.
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

phantasm777

yes! Keith Relf and Jim McCarty, and Louis Cennamo from Steamhammer, after they left the Yardbirds, and page took it over, later forming Zeppelin. Relf added his sister Jane and they did the first 2 lps. Annie Haslam then replaced Jane Relf, after the second lp.
Keith and Louis then left and in a few yrs started Armageddon in 75. a great hard rock band and Relf 's voice a bit more mature than in the Yardbirds.
I have a few 8 tracks from them and that's how I first started listening to them. i also have about 5 of their first 6 lps. not your typical band, and not everyone would like them! I did plus it helped I am a big Yardbirds fan so I followed the history of some of the ex members!

dasilvasings

Can't say I remember - I DISCOVERED them last year. A friend of mine in his 50's asked me if I knew them. I did a bit of search on the dark side of the net, and found Ashes are Burning, an album from 69 (1900...) and "Intergalactic something". I didn't pay much attention on my first listen, but then I enjoyed it.

Blooby, I am not sure if you American or English, but there was a Dutch band called "Earth and Fire", and they had a major disco hit in middle 80's, at least in continental Europe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGwDQ4VoMqA

I thought on covering them for the DiscoFest, and came across with their amazing Prog Rock past, with all those good old mellotrons. You may find it, at least curious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZ77xgpuhB0
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Oldrottenhead

wow the drummers hair is gonna give me nightmares and that keyboard at the start looks like a cake , i wanna eat it. in fact all their instruments look as if they are made of cake. i gotta munchies now.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Oldrottenhead

yer threads been hijacked blooby ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,gurls in prog now  ;D ;D ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUnjMI81vAA

but back on thread entire concert at the beeb 1977. sight and sound in concert, turned the volume down on the telly and tuned in on fm stereo radio  ;D ;D ;D who needs nicam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5B578LuXbPI
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
- Robert Schumann

Greeny

Sorry to get to this thread so late!

'Northern Lights' by Rennaisance is one of my favourite songs. I envy you seeing them, Blooby!