Mic preamp

Started by chip, April 20, 2013, 04:14:12 AM

chip

Quote from: 64Guitars on April 25, 2013, 09:38:37 AMYeah, that should work okay. I watched a YouTube review on it just now and the only thing that might not be too good is that you have to hold the switch for 3 seconds to turn it on or off. That could get annoying.

Another thing to consider is that it runs from an internal rechargeable battery. Depending on the type, it might be hard to find and/or expensive when it comes time to replace it. If that's a concern, you might be better off finding a headphone amp that uses ordinary batteries or a power adapter.

Hi 64. I think these run on lion rechargeable batteries  and according to one tube vid give around 200+ charges.
I don't think you can get the batteries for it, I reckon it's disposable once finished. I have looked for power supply ones and battery ones but the power supply ones are expensive or have more than one input. I can't as yet find any ones that run on normal batteries which would probably be better as I have plenty of rechargeable ones for the BR80..

However, for £20 the above device is well worth consideration and seems to be very good at what it does, add in the fact that it has a flat setting which will suit the AKG 217 phones, then I should still get a reasonable neutral sounding signal. If you spot any normal battery operated amps let me know please. I will wait a couple of days before I go ahead with the purchase.

The new headphones I mention are not as loud as the other AKG77's I have but the sound is more flat, no bass boosting or treble lift, so using them came as a bit of a shock in comparison to the 77's, completely different,took me by surprise.

Having been working with them for a week they are growing on me and are a step up from cheaper phones, more detail and I am now micing the amp using no effects on the BR80, but using a vocal preset to tinker with eq etc  when recording electric guitar. Is that about right?

I have found that micing the guitar is more favourable than the BR80's cosm effects which are not that good, for me at any rate, some are ok but some are just terrible. I have bought a new amp which I will post about in the gear part of the forum.
Sweet young thing aint sweet no more.