new mini amp hopefully on its way.

Started by peterp, April 09, 2013, 10:23:53 PM

peterp

new mini amp hopefully on its way.

Was trying to buy a small Fender Champion 600 when I found out they went and discontinued it. (the blighters!)
Then found the Gretsch Guitars Electromatic G5222 amp.
Which appears to be the same amp with a different case (Fender owns Gretsch)

No one had them in stock, but the local shop is trying to order one in for me.

2 Tubes, 1 knob, 5 watts, 1 * 6 inch speaker
Supposedly a room and recording friendly little amp.

recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Quote from: - Newton Minow, head of FCC 1961"Television, America's vast wasteland"

Speed Demon

Be sure to send us a recording using this amp asap. I'd like to hear it, and you, in action together.

recorder
Boss eBand JS-8

recorder
Adobe Audition

There is room for all of God's creatures.
Right next to my mashed potatoes.

Geir

That looks really cool. Yeah, I'd like to hear that too!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

peterp

Me three!
Hoping the shop can actually get me one, since no one seems to have any stock of them worrying that Fender(gretsch) may have pulled this product as well.

Its doppelganger the Fender Champion 600 was replaced by this thing with a 4 inch speaker and 2 preamp tubes generating 2 watts, instead of a preamp and power tube.
Seems better suited as an iPhone amp than anything else.
http://www.fender.com/en-CA/series/pawn-shop-special/greta/

But yes I am hoping for good times ahead, if it arrives and I get my music cave finished!

recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Quote from: - Newton Minow, head of FCC 1961"Television, America's vast wasteland"

Farrell Jackson

The Gretsch looks great Peter! I listened to a youtube demo of one and it had a cool sound for studio use. I also read that it had the same guts as the Fender Champ 600. Although I think the Gretsch has a nicer look than the Fender.

If you can't find a new one you might try Ebay. I saw several Gretsch and Fender Champ 600 amps for sale there.

Another couple of possibilities of 5 watt mini amps are the Crate V5 and Epiphone Valve Jr. combo. These are similar amps as The Champ and Gretsch but they have an EL84 power tube instead of a 6V6 plus they have larger 8" and 10" speakers.

I own a Champ, Crate V5, and an Epi Jr. The one thing I've found with these mini amps is that upgrading the tubes and speakers makes a huge difference in their sound, for the better.

Good luck with getting The Gretsch, it looks to be a good choice for the studio!

Farrell

recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

peterp

Whoot the local shop managed to get one of the little amp for me, just picked it up this evening.
Maybe just in time, many of the US stores are now showing it as a discontinued item as well.

Unfortunately wife is not too happy with me now (accidental additional purchase while at guitar shop)

recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Speed Demon

I purchased a Danelectro mini amp two years ago. Thought it might be a neat way to take an electric guitar to
a hospital and play for the patients on the cancer ward, without having to bring big amplification as well.

And maybe not.

The sound this Danelectro produced brought to mind the sound of fingernails scraping across a chalk board while being accompanied by the sound of a thousand people chewing mouthfuls of aluminum foil.

Brittle. Harsh. Lifeless. $39.95 wasted.

I'm not impressed.

recorder
Boss eBand JS-8

recorder
Adobe Audition

Farrell Jackson

Quote from: Speed Demon on April 30, 2013, 05:54:42 AMI purchased a Danelectro mini amp two years ago. Thought it might be a neat way to take an electric guitar to
a hospital and play for the patients on the cancer ward, without having to bring big amplification as well.

And maybe not.

The sound this Danelectro produced brought to mind the sound of fingernails scraping across a chalk board while being accompanied by the sound of a thousand people chewing mouthfuls of aluminum foil.

Brittle. Harsh. Lifeless. $39.95 wasted.

I'm not impressed.

You're right S.D. those (micro) mini amps such as the Danalectro and Fenders do sound like crap and are a waste of good money. I think they are a novelty item like you would get out of a gum ball machine. Good to be placed on a shelf to look at but that's it.

The one Peter is getting/got has 5 watts of tube power and a 6" or 8" speaker, which make them very useful amps for the studio and small gigs. I think Roland makes a mini portable amp (micro cube ?) that would work for things like the hospital gig you mentioned.

Farrell
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

chip

I got the Orange micro crush and it ain't bad it also looks real nice on the shelf. I was surprised when I turned it on, it has a clean channel a dirt channel and a great in built tuner. Looks real cute too.

I like all these new small valve amps, my collection of amps is getting smaller in output each time I buy one. Although these are 4/5 watters. they can really belt it out especially through a bigger cab. The Tiny Terror for instance is 15 watt switchable to 7, I never used in in 15 watt mode and to be quite honest the difference between 7 and 15 is nothing much. I had it at around noon on all three controls  and it blew the Blackstar 60 HD out the water. So I was running it at around 3 to 4 watts, turn it up and the windows shatter.
There seems to be no need for anything above 30 watts for any situation, me, I'd go for 1 watt and that's still plenty.
  Gone are the days when you could blast out  a 4x4 stack in a boozer, to my horror some bands still bring ridiculous amounts of amp power to the local watering hole, I leave after the first song and so do half the crowd, it is simply to loud, hurtful and you can't have a chat. Bring on the small amps I say.
Sweet young thing aint sweet no more.

Speed Demon

Thanks for the info, Farrell, I will definitely look into that one.

recorder
Boss eBand JS-8

recorder
Adobe Audition