Guitar Cables

Started by ianjm, February 16, 2009, 06:30:49 PM

ianjm

I need to replace my guitar cable as it has started breaking down and has a nasty interferance sound. (sounds fine with other cables)

Can anyone suggest any good quality cables??

cheers

guitarron

do not go cheap on cables-
i use monster cables-but there are other good ones

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

64Guitars

Most problems with cables will be at the ends where all the wear and tear occurs. It's usually very easy to repair by cutting off the last 2 or 3 inches, stripping the insulation back, and re-soldering the cable to the plug. If there's a problem with the plug, good quality replacements such as those made by Switchcraft are inexpensive.

Although it's certainly possible to have a problem in the middle length of the cable, that seldom happens in my experience. It's almost always an end where the shield braid has broken due to bending, or a solder joint has deteriorated or separated. If your cable worked well originally, then repairing the ends will be a lot cheaper than buying a new cable and it should work just as good as it did when you originally bought it.

Of course, if your cable is very cheap and was noisy from the beginning, then buying a good quality replacement would be a good idea. Don't buy the cheapest cables as they often have poor shielding and are less durable than cables costing just a few pounds more. But don't buy the most expensive either. The prices can be ridiculous and I don't believe they sound any better than reasonably priced cables.

By the way, anyone remember the coiled guitar cords of the sixties and seventies? They went out of style in favour of better quality straight cables, but they seem to be making a minor comeback. I've noticed several bands using them in performances on late night TV talk shows. I used to have a bright, medium blue coiled cable sold by Gibson. It wasn't very good quality (probably imported from Hong Kong or China) but I'm starting to feel nostalgic for it after seeing coiled cables on TV. I still think straight cables are generally better quality and more practical, but I wouldn't mind getting another coiled cable just for the sake of nostalgia.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

AlchemyMN

George Ls cables are great.  They can be easily customized to any length and repaired with just a razor blade...

http://www.georgelsstore.com/home.html

I also use monsters in my studio.

I just saw a white coiled cable on stage Tuesday night at a club.  I was thinking "how cool is that."  The band is called Charn - they have a great sound and do a mean Tom Petty cover...

Greeny

What is it with coiled cables?! I want one of those too!  :D

guitarron

Quote from: Greeny on February 17, 2009, 02:26:20 AMWhat is it with coiled cables?! I want one of those too!  :D
when i started playing (dinosaurs roamed the earth), thats all there seem to be -
I personally don't like them because i tend to walk around a bit when i play
they're ideal in a small areas- cramped bar stages and the like

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

tkofaith

Quote from: ianjm on February 16, 2009, 06:30:49 PMI need to replace my guitar cable as it has started breaking down and has a nasty interferance sound. (sounds fine with other cables)

Can anyone suggest any good quality cables??

cheers

I use only the best...   

Monster Gold
Cheers!

Tim

"Music survives everything, and like God, it is always present.
It needs no help, and suffers no hindrance.  It has always found
me, and with God's blessing and permission, it always will."
--Eric Clapton

guitarron

monster gold- i've been using the same crop of them for 10 yrs now-not one failure-sound good to

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Flash Harry

Moulded ends with good strain relief. Some have gold plating and sprung connection tabs.

A bit more than the cheap ones, about £20, but I have yet to have one fail.

We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.