"Dissolved" a Geir & Jarle original

Started by Geir, February 24, 2013, 09:04:14 AM

Bobtail

Wiiiiicked,great song !
I'd be stoked if my lead guitar recooding sounded as good as this.

Greeny

Oh Lord. This is bold... very bold. I can't get my head around how you crafted and weaved this one together. Apart from sheer, incredible talent of course. Love how it veers across whole musical landscapes on it's epic journey. I've heard many masterpieces from you, but this feels like a new high. That's quite a collaboration you've got going. And that must be quite a cabin! It's becoming the centre of a musical nirvana.

So brilliant  :)

Tremendous piece of work guys, prog rock at the top of the ladder. Great listen.............Willie
recorder
Boss BR-800

Geir

Thank you guys and girls for the overwhelmingly kind comments !!!! Yeah, we were really happy with the result, but it's always good to hear that others also enjoy our work too.

A couple of the pieces of this song are actually quite old. The slow part is a melody I wrote almost 30 years ago, and that I've used with a different lyric in other song-constellations. The "folky" melody break just before the mellotron is almost as old and used as a bridge in various songs up through the years. Last used HERE. We did however change it from 6/8 to 5/8  ::) it is after all a prog tune :D . The lyrics are all new as are the other parts (although the "chord progression" in the 7/8 part is based on the folk part).

For those of you who want to dance to it here are a few hints ;D ;D

* After the opening riff we start out quite ordinary in 4/4, then change to 5/8 (with a 2/8 squeezed in), before going back to 4/4. Oh wait .. watch out, there's a couple of 3/4 measures on the quiet part.
* Then there's the 7/8 part that ends with a 9/8  (or 3x3/8 ::) )
* From there on and out it's just 4/4 (with the 3/4 measures thrown in on the last part).
* The consolation is that the pulse is 106bpm though the whole shebang, that may be something that helps it stick together quite nicely.

Pretentious ??? Oh yeah !! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I must give a big thank you to my brother for his excellent drumming and surprising keyboard skills and vocal range (he had to do the highest backing vocals alone) and most of all for being an excellent songwriting partner and a good friend!!!!

Quote from: AndyR on February 24, 2013, 09:14:39 AMThe moment I read "this little tune" I thought "OK, what have they done this time, then?" :D
;D oh well ... as usual we set out to make a 10 minute prog song .... (always the optimists :D ) ... I think we'll need a whole week to get a 10 minute song tho ;D
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Nelson

My Oh My

This is off the charts, guys.

Pretentious.. Not at all.

Much respect... to all envolved.
recorder
Reaper

recorder
Boss BR-600

Kenny B

WOW!!!  Yup ... "EPIC" is what this is ... an incredibly written and performed composition ... WOW!!!

kb
recorder
Zoom MRS-1266
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Facemask93

Geir & Jarle , just listened to this on my Sunday morning lie in & I'm totally gobsmacked , you guys are Gods , this is just fabulous

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

"All along the ancient wastes the thin reflections spin,
that gather all the times and tides at once we love within."
 - Roy Harper

dasilvasings

How did I miss this?!?!

yep! We are not worthy!
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Picker

recorder
Boss BR-800

andy casson

OTD bump - and epic is the word!!! Stunning fellas, huge bravo & take a bow!

Andy