With Mum Again - AndyR Original

Started by AndyR, February 24, 2013, 05:42:32 AM

Nelson

My Oh My
What a delicious treat.

Lovely vocals and brilliant musicianship.

Really enjoyed the story.

I must check my shoe boxes, for any hidden gems.   :)

recorder
Reaper

recorder
Boss BR-600

Redler

Fine job all-round!! Very intensive performing and cool tune!

Kari
recorder
Korg Sound on Sound
Redler & Co   
recorder
Audacity

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Hilary

Oh this is glorious Andy, the guitar, the vocals and the story and oh my it does take me back . . . I was at a dance with my Mum and Dad when someone came over to ask me to dance. I said I didn't know the song but my Mum did and she had to go and dance with him, it was priceless!
recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça

scratchy

wonderful listen. the back story adds a sweet poignancy and i can see the story from both perspectives, the girl and the mum! such great delivery and story-telling. a winner. it reminds me of some of the best songs of loudon wainwright whom i love!

SwanSong

HI Andy fantastic song loved the lyrics very creative
andsuperb vocals congrat.s this would make for a
goood film soundtrack cheers NEIL.!

Tangled Wires

I've always loved your "big" sounding songs, but this and the recently posted "Warriors" have to be two of my favourites of yours.

Brilliant storey telling lyrics, and loving that ascending little acoustic riff that comes in from time to time, and the staccato stabs that work beautifully with the arpeggio parts accompanying them.

The vocal is as ridiculously good as the song itself!

Seriously, seriously top song this.

recorder
Boss Micro BR

AndyR

Thankee folks, I'm quite pleased how this came out in the end :)

And it's opened the door for how to approach some of its siblings.

Quote from: Hilary on February 25, 2013, 02:10:24 AMI was at a dance with my Mum and Dad when someone came over to ask me to dance. I said I didn't know the song but my Mum did and she had to go and dance with him, it was priceless!

Oh that would have been even worse!!! Pluck up courage to ask... and then get fobbed off with her Mother!! :D (Still, that might have provided the appropriate introductions, and I was always good at charming the mothers in those days... just not the girls themselves)

Quote from: scratchy on February 25, 2013, 04:22:05 AMit reminds me of some of the best songs of loudon wainwright whom i love!

You're gonna love (hopefully!) what's coming next then... :) (Same here, he had a big effect on me and my "live act" when I saw him in 1980)

At the moment I'm on a trip through songs inspired by, or written to, two-year-old twins in the early 90s. Both the last one (Warriors) and this one came out of feelings brought about by being a Dad and remembering being a son, etc, etc. I've got some written directly at them (and even some "answers" from them in some).

Incidentally, a friend of mine has pointed out "I'm a little concerned about 'Spotty Susan'. I mean, not her fault she had spots, so who did she get to dance with?"

I replied -

==============
Yes, poor Spotty Susan! I even felt bad when I wrote it... But I needed names, and it had to be someone he didn't want to dance with... I still felt a bit sorry for her when I dug the song out recently. Still, probably she grew out of the spots easily, married a handsome and ambitious high-flyer, and she's managed to juggle being a loving-mother and devoted-wife with a satisfying career in middle-management... She now has a big house in leafy Surrey, with the appropriate motor vehicles and social circles. She also has a holiday home in some sunnier land... Everything one could dream of... (but her son's on drugs and is secretly mixed up in some dodgy organisation that will eventually lead to him wearing a belt packed with ball-bearings and explosives; one of her daughters is manic-depressive; and the other, younger, one already has two daughters of her own by different fathers...)

She should have asked him to dance!!

(And, actually, I've always felt more sorry for "Cousin Jane" - at least Susan had spots, Jane, on the other hand is just written off with no explanation... she's probably a spinster now with a nice little cottage and a tortoise... and probably the happiest of all!)"
==============

Quote from: Tangled Wires on February 25, 2013, 12:49:42 PMI've always loved your "big" sounding songs, but this and the recently posted "Warriors" have to be two of my favourites of yours.

Many thanks.

The "big" ones haven't gone away - it's just that they take so long to make them sound as "effortless" as possible and I wanted to take a break from it. So I decided to spend a load of time learning some of the old songs so that I could actually perform them... and then hit them with minimal instrumentation, if necessary, when a decent "live" take is captured. They were always intended as live "singer-songwriter" things anyway.

I have to admit that some of my favourites of my own songs are from back then - of the ones I've actually recorded, Sleeping With The Ghost and Elizabeth's Room (same year) are probably my personal favourites (I've got at least one more left that I expect to top these if I could capture it - it was a complete fluke that I managed to create a usable recording of Sleeping With The Ghost, and this other one is loads harder to deliver).

But With Mum Again has turned out nice, though, very nice... and it's taught me a LOT about how to record "Andrew Russe". And I'd always thought it would be too whimsical for general consumption... :D
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Bluesberry

Well done, great recording.  It reminds me of a few things, but I think most of all, its all AndyR.  It seems that this one really captures what you are trying to convey in these songs of yours.  Stripped down this works, I think bringing the epic and overblown instrumentation would also work, heavy Organ, big chorus, even a chunkier guitar line there, some piano pounding away.  Maybe this one reminds me of Queen, and so I am hearing that kind of treatment in the back of my mind.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Gnasty

Finally i hear the rest of the song but now the video is only half done! :)

You make you`re recordings just so pro. That guitar sounds so significant. Serious emotion in the vocals. I have a lot to learn. You inspire. Great song and recording.
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Audacity

Tangled Wires

This song is addictive....keep coming back to it.

recorder
Boss Micro BR