Field recorder

Started by chip, February 08, 2013, 03:26:11 AM

chip

A friend of mine who owns a BR 600 wants to get into field recording. He does not want to use the BR600 as it is to big to carry about and has asked me to ask you if any of you have any ideas for a suitable no frills recorder, one that ca n be hooked up to a computer.

He keeps going on about Marantz but I have no idea. This chap does not use the net and lives a more simple rustic life, I am slowly bringing him around to the idea though.

Just thought I would ask for him. Cheers.
Sweet young thing aint sweet no more.

T.C. Elliott

This board is all but dead and it's only two months late, but here goes.

I have a Roland R-05 I got on sale for 100 bucks US. I like it. There are more expensive, better options. It's not a multi-track recorder, it's a single track (stereo) recorder for interviews etc. It has a bass cut and hi and lo mic settings. I've recorded a couple of short live shows with it and it does a fine job. Nothing awesome, but definitely listenable. Mostly I use it to record band practice.

Several other recorders are in the 100-300 price range and I've not heard anything bad about any of them. The only problem I see is that they definitely work like a usb storage disc. In other words, if you are computer illiterate there is a little bit of weirdness to it. But it was completely intuitive to me and I have no trouble with it at all. If I'm recording ideas etc I'll hook it up via USB and rename the files as I add them. Just like a storage device that it is.

recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London