Tiffany's Estate - AndyR Original

Started by AndyR, February 03, 2013, 11:29:26 AM

Jarle

Great, I really like the melodic guitar.

JOA
recorder
Boss BR-800

Farrell Jackson

Oh this is such a good rocker Andy! A slick production with excellent backing vocals and the cool harmony guitar melody. The fret-less bass works well and the story line is....well exotic, lol! Well done and pro on all accounts.

Farrell

recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

64Guitars

Excellent. I love the backing vocals and the lead guitar especially. And the production's very pro-sounding. Well done.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Facemask93

oooh fabulous , i do love an Andy song , you talented bastard , listening on cans is a total treat

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

"All along the ancient wastes the thin reflections spin,
that gather all the times and tides at once we love within."
 - Roy Harper

Burtog

This is very cool, love the production, has a genuine 70's production feel about it and the performance feels the same.

I too googled the line, the missus (sat next to me) was wondering where I was going to click next!! ;D

Top flight blues rocker!!
recorder
Boss BR-800

DrZiggy

Excellento.

I have just managed to type this after stopping head banging! heaven, very 70's. Or Berkley.

Keep Rockin'

Tony (DrZiggy)  :D
recorder
Boss BR-1180
Follow me and I'll follow you!
Facebook:Tony Joyce Twitter @MargaretMJoyce
Web http://www.margaretmjoyce.com

Geir

Quote from: Burtog on February 04, 2013, 01:26:16 PMI too googled the line, the missus (sat next to me) was wondering where I was going to click next!! ;D
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Flash Harry

I had a less sheltered upbringing. No need for Google. No embarrassing links.

:D
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

AndyR

Don't know about anyone else, I just love the image of the poor b@stard trying to lick a jaguar :D

I know it was all double entendres and stuff when I wrote it. But after it had settled down, that's the image I have in my head.

So glad you folks like it this one. I'm kinda fond of it but I didn't think it was going to have much general appeal. For me it's got a load of stuff behind it, and it nearly didn't get recorded after I'd started.

This is the song I wrote last Oct/Nov, and then a day or so later, as I started to get it down, I found out that the original inspiration (a "one-night-stand" who picked me up in 1984/5, who was mad as a box of frogs, who took a week to shake off, but who I'd never quite forgotten) I found out that she had hanged herself in 2005. This kind of put the mockers on things for a while. I thought about changing the song, even ditching it, but eventually managed to "disconnect" it from her. When I was able to start work on it again, it (and "I Dream You" from a week or so before) have kind of become "her" songs and it's nicely squared away. I also realised during the hiatus that she'd actually been one of my major "muses" ever since the 80s, and finding out that she'd gone and seeing pictures of her 20 years older than I'd known her sort of knocked that on the head - I can't see her like that anymore.

I've had a big need to explain all this - but I really didn't want to put it in the original post because I didn't want it colouring anyone's "first listen". This song isn't about a woman who killed herself, it doesn't have anything like that in it. In fact, the girl in the song is still there if he wants to go back (that was the bit I nearly changed, I'm really glad I didn't now). But seeing as I tend to share how things came about on here, and this one I fancied people knowing what it means to me, second page of comments seemed about right for saying it.

NEway!!! 8) I'm particularly proud of the harmony guitars on here - glad they got a mention.

They came about because I couldn't find a decent solo in the instrumental. So plan B is always "tell you what, why don't you play the vocal melody and see what happens?"

When I tried that it sounded naff as well. I couldn't get the vocal phrasing I wanted. My keyboard skills aren't up to playing on something like this either. So I picked up a slide....

That took quite a bit of practicing to be able to play a fixed melody on slide. But the minute I conquered it I slammed down a quick take as a placeholder.

And then I thought "how about a harmony? Can you play harmony parts with slide? Don't see why not..."

So I just slammed down a harmony. Then I put another one of the melody, but an octave lower.

I thought, those parts'll do, when I can play them better...

A month or so later I just mixed those original one-takers to a submix and they've stayed there ever since.

I really meant to replace the "lead slide" at the end, but when it came to it, it seemed good enough. The original fade had to finish just before he gives up and goes "clunk/buzz" - it was only a placeholding rehearsal anyway. And I thought I needed more from him... But then I decided to shorten it even further and it works a lot better like that, so the practice take stayed.

Anyway, now this one is finished and off the desk, suddenly there's a whole load more happening in the broom-cupboard. Things were quite definitely clogged up for a while there :D.

Quote from: Flash Harry on February 04, 2013, 02:13:19 PMI had a less sheltered upbringing. No need for Google. No embarrassing links.

:D

The link I used was quite tasteful - it was resource of "sensual phrases" to use/learn if you're dating someone whose language you don't know. It explained how rude the phrases were to a native speaker, and when they'd sound either too rude or somewhat amateur-ish (and therefore would have an effect opposite to the one you were hoping for!! :)
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Hilary

Quote from: AndyR on February 05, 2013, 01:08:13 PMDon't know about anyone else, I just love the image of the poor b@stard trying to lick a jaguar :D

I thought that was a euphamism (!) and yes had to google the other phrase too. Some of the others I came across were a tad ruder - dare I say some of the others, probably not but I'm still giggling.

It's not a sad song Andy, I'd like to think that the woman who inspired the song is up in heaven and loving every minute of it.
recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça