Keychange in a Song: half step or whole step (1 Fret or 2, please???)

Started by badrail, January 31, 2013, 06:16:18 AM

Greeny

I realised at the weekend that one of the reasons I hate key changes so much is largely because of the one Stevie Wonder does at the end of 'I just called to say I Love You'. What an abomination.

AndyR

Quote from: Greeny on February 04, 2013, 05:36:06 AMI realised at the weekend that one of the reasons I hate key changes so much is largely because of the one Stevie Wonder does at the end of 'I just called to say I Love You'. What an abomination.

Not sure that I've ever managed to get through to the end of that song - so I've been spared! (But, I can hear the tune in my head, I can imagine it... and I don't think I'd have modulated that particular one meself! :D)
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Farrell Jackson

I think if modulation adds to a song it is a good tool but it has certainly been over used at times. One song that comes to mind where it does seem to work well is CCR's Who'll Stop The Rain. As mentioned in an earlier post I've modulated a full step in a couple of my bluesy songs for the guitar solos and then back when the vocal comes back in. My under2fest, Bad Luck, it worked quiet well. In another, Back Home Blues, it didn't work quite as well. I suppose try it and if it's to your liking keep it....if not don't.

Farrell 
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

T.C. Elliott

If a modulation draws attention to itself then it generally feels like a trick rather than a songwriting technique to my ears. But as songwriters we generally hear the techniques being used even when we don't want to. At least I find myself listening to the arrangement or parts or some part of a song rather than just listening to a song more often than not. I've not used key changes much (if any) except in a circle of fifths kind of way. A friend just wrote a song that is basically a circle of fifths progression but the pattern changes four or five times. But it isn't obvious even if you know it's coming. That's an effective use of modulation in my opinion. Just bumping up a step once before the last chorus like in the old country songs just sounds cheesy to me now. But it also increases tension and energy if you don't notice it. My wife has no clue when those modulations hit and it works great for her.
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

Auroran

recorder
Boss BR-800

galestermusic

I love key changes. I think when done in the right places it add tension or relief to a song.

steelguitar

Generally, I hate key changes in a song using tricks as half step or whole step.
As said TC Elliot, "Just bumping up a step once before the last chorus like in the old country songs just sounds cheesy to me now. But it also increases tension and energy if you don't notice it."
But I always notice it  :-\ so it add tension immediatly to me : I am just angry about this lazy technique used by songwriters to give an artificially relief to a song with no one and / or with a lack of inspiration.
It reminds me a lot of the (bad) songs in "chanson francaise" french pop music...
I am for a pertinent / sober   use of it, not a systematical use of it. Parcimoniousness with it.

Remembered the three (!!!) key changes at the end of "la maladie d'amour" (a not so bad song) ruined by theses changes for me, at 2:28; at 3:01; at 3:15...  >:(
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsEPGkc1pqs

Jean-Sébastien
recorder
Boss Micro BR

"I'm sitting on a comet / Slowing speed / I'm landing on your planet / On your land of weed" Daniel (de Sète)

https://www.facebook.com/TheMAUSS