How to overcome nerves

Started by banjaxed, January 30, 2013, 05:23:44 AM

bruno

Once you start you are okay. Best way is not to consider yourself as you, but create an alter-ego, works just fine
:-)

recorder
Boss BR-1600

AndyR

I agree (Haylie & Chip). When you "know what you're doing" (and who ever does, really?) picking on a few members of the audience for "contact" is good over all. But early on, before you're more experienced/confident, that can throw you right out of your stride! You start wondering what they're thinking, what they had for tea, etc... (I used to have trouble being able to hear and follow conversations when playing in bars - you get into the conversation and then suddenly wake up realising everyone else is watching you and you don't know what the last line you sang was...)

When I was starting (and after I'd become aware I had to do something about "where to look"), I stared at the tops of peoples heads, and their chests (only in recent years did I learn that might be giving confusing signals!).

Later on, I developed this kind of "stare". It was alive and engaged to an onlooker, apparently, but it was a blank thing for me - I wasn't really taking in what I could see. That meant I could easily look directly at audience members (something I can't do very well in real life - I'm very bad at eye contact), engage with them, but not actually "see" them. And so the song running through my head, what notes to play etc, never got interrupted.

ANYWAY - break a leg there Banjaxed :)

Have a good one. The only advice I have is to remember that the stage is yours, not theirs. Same thing applies to any public speaking, teaching, wotever. When you walk on, you have authority as of right - they are expecting you to take charge. As long as you understand that and just serve up the goods as best you can - and enjoy it yourself - then you won't relinquish that authority.

And if you make a mistake, shrug it off - if the audience thinks it worries you, they start worrying when the next one might come. If you appear unruffled, or even laugh it off, they'll relax... and if they do, it seems to relax you as well...

And bruno's spot on - the way I did it was develop an alter-ego. A kind of "super-me". There's no way I could walk on stage as myself expecting to "own" the place, seemed terribly arrogant. But the "super-me" could.

(the next problem with this, though, is getting too relaxed and over-confident... dancing on a table, or saying something outrageous as it comes into your head... but I don't think you'll be doing that tomorrow!! :D)
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Oldrottenhead

ive only done the live thing once, wasn't nervous tho, had flash harry , greeny and geir behind me as a safety net.

tho when i host the pub quiz each week, that is quite nervy, but i usually break the ice with the rudest one liners i can get away with that wont get me arrested.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

banjaxed

I am very grateful for these latest posts, it just helps that bit more to know other peoples ways of dealing with nerves. As I said in a earlier post playing as part of a group was never a problem and I never suffered from nerves so I suppose if I could imagine the rest of the group behind me it might help  :-\

banjaxed

Well I survived  :) as you all suggested it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be, but my nerves were with me to the last number but not as bad as at the beginning. Luckily there were 2 old ladies right at the front who were very enthusiastic which helped a lot, as I focused on them and another 2 people nearer the back of the room. Another piece of luck was the act previous to me who was, not to be too cruel, not very good, so I wasn't following a great entertainer. Thank you all once again for the help and advice which made things a lot easier for me.

AndyR

recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

chip

Quote from: banjaxed on February 17, 2013, 04:12:48 AMWell I survived  :) as you all suggested it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be, but my nerves were with me to the last number but not as bad as at the beginning. Luckily there were 2 old ladies right at the front who were very enthusiastic which helped a lot, as I focused on them and another 2 people nearer the back of the room. Another piece of luck was the act previous to me who was, not to be too cruel, not very good, so I wasn't following a great entertainer. Thank you all once again for the help and advice which made things a lot easier for me.

Well done matey, it get's easier form now on.

Quote from: AndyR on February 15, 2013, 11:45:28 AMI agree (Haylie & Chip). When you "know what you're doing" (and who ever does, really?) picking on a few members of the audience for "contact" is good over all. But early on, before you're more experienced/confident, that can throw you right out of your stride! You start wondering what they're thinking, what they had for tea, etc... (I used to have trouble being able to hear and follow conversations when playing in bars - you get into the conversation and then suddenly wake up realising everyone else is watching you and you don't know what the last line you sang was...)

When I was starting (and after I'd become aware I had to do something about "where to look"), I stared at the tops of peoples heads, and their chests (only in recent years did I learn that might be giving confusing signals!).

Later on, I developed this kind of "stare". It was alive and engaged to an onlooker, apparently, but it was a blank thing for me - I wasn't really taking in what I could see. That meant I could easily look directly at audience members (something I can't do very well in real life - I'm very bad at eye contact), engage with them, but not actually "see" them. And so the song running through my head, what notes to play etc, never got interrupted.

ANYWAY - break a leg there Banjaxed :)

Have a good one. The only advice I have is to remember that the stage is yours, not theirs. Same thing applies to any public speaking, teaching, wotever. When you walk on, you have authority as of right - they are expecting you to take charge. As long as you understand that and just serve up the goods as best you can - and enjoy it yourself - then you won't relinquish that authority.

And if you make a mistake, shrug it off - if the audience thinks it worries you, they start worrying when the next one might come. If you appear unruffled, or even laugh it off, they'll relax... and if they do, it seems to relax you as well...

And bruno's spot on - the way I did it was develop an alter-ego. A kind of "super-me". There's no way I could walk on stage as myself expecting to "own" the place, seemed terribly arrogant. But the "super-me" could.

(the next problem with this, though, is getting too relaxed and over-confident... dancing on a table, or saying something outrageous as it comes into your head... but I don't think you'll be doing that tomorrow!! :D)

Good stuff here too, especially the' Super-me bit. That's me all over. I went on the other night with a white silk shirt, black 505's, a Chinese slim fit black spandex jacket and a pair of red leather patent formal shoes. I do like to dress up, you're on stage ain't you. I threw the Gibson around that much the strap slipped off and I just caught it before the shit hit the fan.

It's funny when you make a mistake, you know it but the audience seem to think you have changed the song or something and don't notice the glaring car crash. I must admit it was a little blurry the other night, I put it down to the Vodka and red bull during the second set.
Sweet young thing aint sweet no more.

Rata-tat-tat

Glad this went well... and this is a great thread... although I really didn't have anything inspiring to add (But I do think a little drink helps a lot)... too much is never a good thing though.

You have made it through the worst part... You may find other performances that will get your nerves going again such as larger crowds or perhaps someone of high importance is checking you out or maybe you are struggling to sing due to a cold or you've suffere'd an injury that you will have to play through... Now that you know the secret to battling the nerves it will be a lot easier for you. Myself... I hide behind my drums... so long as I'm behind them I'm comfortable... I have done performances where I had to come out front to sing and someone else was playing the drums. This always made me nervous... but once I get going it seems to disappear. Thanks for sharing this... it will definately get many views... I'm sure there are a number of people out there may be up against the same scenario...  this will certainly give someone some insight on how to deal with nerves for sure.
recorder
Tascam DP-02

banjaxed

Hi rata-tat-tat,
Yes I did have a pint of guiness before my spot and took another on stage with me to oil the vocal cords.
Forgot to mention that while having a bit of banter with the audience I was completely at ease, but when
performing the nerves came back only not as bad. I did play 3 instrumentals which were easy for me as I must have played them hundreds of times over the past 50 years but STILL made a few mistakes. Not having the
confidence in your own voice must play a major part in how you perform and will only be overcome with more
practice and gigs. When I get to grips with my BR900CD I will do a recording and see what comments it brings. 

kenny mac

Glad it all went well,I wouldn't agree with the making eye contact bit though,if I focused on one dude in the audience at a Glasgow gig I would be going home in an ambulance  ;D