How to overcome nerves

Started by banjaxed, January 30, 2013, 05:23:44 AM

banjaxed

On the 16th of Feb I am doing a charity gig for a senior citzens party at my local club. Usually I have a friend who does the vocals while I do a few instrumentals, but unfortunaly he is away that weekend. My problem is when playing with someone else my nerves are ok but when playing alone my nerves always seem to get the better of me. If anyone could offer any advice it would be very much appreciated.

Hilary

Oh break a leg - I'm sure it's not going to be nearly as bad as you think it is. I've been in the same situation and you just have to get on with it and get through the pain barrier - the more you do the easier it becomes. Practice, practice, practice and start with something you are really familiar with. Pick and easy set suitable for your audience (bear in mind they are elderly) and if you are really nervous, keep it short.

Chances are you are going to be able to see the whites of their eyes, so focus on something just above their heads but don't look at them directly.

It's mind over matter, so concentrate and try to enjoy yourself - it's meant to be fun.

Do let us know how you got on (don't record/video anything though it's extra pressure).

The best of luck xx

recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça

henwrench

Just concentrate on what you're doing at that precise moment in time...half way through the third song, you'll be enjoying the whole thing. Half way through the last song, you'll not want the thing to stop.

henwrench
The job of the artist is to deepen the mystery - Francis Bacon

English by birth, Brummie by the Grace of God

recorder
Boss Micro BR

banjaxed

Thanks Haylie and henwrench I am starting to feel more confident already, looking over peoples heads is a good staring point, I think I saw this tip somewhere before but had forgotten it  ::)

Greeny

Knowing the songs inside out is always a good start confidence-wise.

I think a bit of nerves is a positive thing. It gives me a sense of excitement and the adrenalin to deliver the songs in a way you can't do when you're sat in your own living room.

I tend to play and sing with my eyes closed, but that's just me. Depends how confident you are with finding chords blind!

Sounds like you'll have an appreciative audience, which is always a good start.

Just go for it - what's the worst that can happen?!

kenny mac

Pick what you think is your strongest song and the one you are most comfortable with,Im with henwrench on this one,by the time you get through the 1st couple of songs you can gauge what is going to go down well.
As its a pensioners thing you won't be playing van halens jump so as long as you set it accordingly you'll be fine.
Also I suggest a bottle of water on stage for the dry throat that comes with nerves and no alchohol until at least the second set as it dries the vocals up.
Also keep the levels low as this can be a big gripe playing live,(as Ive learnt lol)
I'm interested in what sort of set you will be playing?  Good luck ,you'll be fine

banjaxed

Hi greeny and kenny mac,
Thanks for your input, as I am expected to do one spot of between 30-45 minutes I thought of doing about three instrumentals and maybe six vocals, maybe start with an instrumental that I know backwards then a couple of songs and so on. Knowing my vocal range is on the bass side I will not be attempting any which take me out of my comfort zone, as the man said know your limitations  :)
Thank you all again for your input, it has already helped a lot.

Rata-tat-tat

recorder
Tascam DP-02

chip

Quote from: Hilary on January 30, 2013, 05:45:37 AMOh break a leg - I'm sure it's not going to be nearly as bad as you think it is. I've been in the same situation and you just have to get on with it and get through the pain barrier - the more you do the easier it becomes. Practice, practice, practice and start with something you are really familiar with. Pick and easy set suitable for your audience (bear in mind they are elderly) and if you are really nervous, keep it short.

Chances are you are going to be able to see the whites of their eyes, so focus on something just above their heads but don't look at them directly.

It's mind over matter, so concentrate and try to enjoy yourself - it's meant to be fun.

Do let us know how you got on (don't record/video anything though it's extra pressure).

The best of luck xx

I would disagree with the eye contact part. Make eye contact with someone, this really works. I do it all the time when gigging, perhaps someone is dancing or nodding or clapping, get onto them, smile, pick another one who is digging it and move between the two. The good thing here is the person next to the one you are connecting with thinks you are looking at them and so on. Connect with your audience, but like I say, just a few will do, even one is enough. Try it and good luck, relax and play the easy stuff first
Sweet young thing aint sweet no more.

Hilary

Quote from: chip on January 30, 2013, 11:29:29 AM
Quote from: Hilary on January 30, 2013, 05:45:37 AMOh break a leg - I'm sure it's not going to be nearly as bad as you think it is. I've been in the same situation and you just have to get on with it and get through the pain barrier - the more you do the easier it becomes. Practice, practice, practice and start with something you are really familiar with. Pick and easy set suitable for your audience (bear in mind they are elderly) and if you are really nervous, keep it short.

The best of luck xx

I would disagree with the eye contact part. Make eye contact with someone, this really works. I do it all the time when gigging, perhaps someone is dancing or nodding or clapping, get onto them, smile, pick another one who is digging it and move between the two. The good thing here is the person next to the one you are connecting with thinks you are looking at them and so on. Connect with your audience, but like I say, just a few will do, even one is enough. Try it and good luck, relax and play the easy stuff first

I agree Chip, but you've got to be really confident to do that and it's easy to get put off and lose concentration. That's why I said just over their heads as the audience think your looking at them. It's tomorrow, so take a deep breath and relax. Break a leg Banjaxed xxx
recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça