Quick Question

Started by Kody, February 11, 2009, 11:55:22 PM

Kody

I know alot of you have Soundclick and Reverbnation pages. Could anyone tell me if you can upload cover songs to either? I seem to have an abundance of strictly cover tunes recorded :D  I know your not supposed to upload anything you don't have rights to, but does that just mean like: songs that somebody else recorded.  Cover songs is one of the music categories for soundclick, so I'm assuming it's legal? Anybody?
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

guitarron

Quote from: Acoustick_NE on February 11, 2009, 11:55:22 PMI know alot of you have Soundclick and Reverbnation pages. Could anyone tell me if you can upload cover songs to either? I seem to have an abundance of strictly cover tunes recorded :D  I know your not supposed to upload anything you don't have rights to, but does that just mean like: songs that somebody else recorded.  Cover songs is one of the music categories for soundclick, so I'm assuming it's legal? Anybody?
soundclick will not allow you and will delete anything that you don't have license to
you have to have permission from the original artist(or whoever "owns" the song) in order to post

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Kody

As much as I respect you man, I dont think that's the case.  I highly doubt these guys have any kind of license.  You might be right though.  Why would you be able to to put anything on your Myspace page or Youtube, but not these- I looked into to licensing and found nothing for this. All I could find is digital licensing for the sale of digital downloads of cover songs.

http://www.soundclick.com/genres/charts.cfm?Genre=Rock&SubgenreID=206

Check out no. 10 for God's sake.... Licensed? I hope not :D

I'm really tempted to try it and see what happens- I just don't want to get in trouble..... ;)
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

BossMicroBRew

i say ask for forgiveness later...if they delete it they delete it...trudge on!!
"90-proof pain, I shot at a time."  -George Molton

Kody

Yeah, I got tempted, so I Emailed this dude who had a bunch of cover songs on his page.  Hah, he actually replied and said when he uploads a song, he just puts it in the "cover" category. He's had an account for 3 years and has had zero problems.

recorder
PreSonus Studio One

Kody

I'm sorry Guitarron, I should have listened to you the first time- you're exactly right. When you go to upload a song there are plenty of warnings about posting cover songs and how exactly to get a license- but screw that- I aint paying to get my songs heard.lol. Damnit!
I don't think I want to risk infringement or whatever like that dude I emailed does.
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

guitarron

i played Mony Mony   so many times at weddings and bars Tommy James ought to pay me royalities ;)

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

tkofaith

Quote from: guitarron on February 13, 2009, 04:58:37 AMi played Mony Mony   so many times at weddings and bars Tommy James ought to pay me royalities ;)

;D I'm thinking Jimmy Buffett owes me big for all the times I've played Margaritaville!  :o
Cheers!

Tim

"Music survives everything, and like God, it is always present.
It needs no help, and suffers no hindrance.  It has always found
me, and with God's blessing and permission, it always will."
--Eric Clapton

lg

Hey Stoney posted our "Jenny' cover on his site and the next day it was gone!
LG
nothing is real... So theres nothing to get hung about!

guitarron

Quote from: tkofaith on February 13, 2009, 07:13:01 AM
Quote from: guitarron on February 13, 2009, 04:58:37 AMi played Mony Mony   so many times at weddings and bars Tommy James ought to pay me royalities ;)

;D I'm thinking Jimmy Buffett owes me big for all the times I've played Margaritaville!  :o
oh yah
i forgot about margaritaville-that one too-lol

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis