Minor to major

Started by Simon M, January 24, 2013, 12:04:21 PM

Hook

Quote from: cuthbert on January 25, 2013, 08:52:34 AMI'm not a fan of tampering for its own sake, but I find it very interesting what a difference a semi-tone can make, up or down. 
Yeah, I change keys alot so I can sing the melody in my range and often it can change the mood of the tune. I did something I've rarely done on my Kiss cover of Beth, I sang the melody up a 5th (an octave lower). I didn't want to change the key because it felt good on uke & I didn't want the power In my vocals that I couldn't avoid by singing the actual melody. When I stumbled on the 5th it had the feel I was looking for and gave it a fragility I wanted to convey.
One thing along the same heading that I've been using lately, too much probably, is in my progression changing the chord from major to minor. The Beatles did this alot, I have a new tune that I'm working on with a verse progression of G//Gm// F//Fm//C. I love that major to minor change.

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

dasilvasings

I know the theory, but when we see it in practice, and so perfectly executed, it is still amazing. Good stuff!

In XV-XVIth century polyphony, there was a "composing tool", called something like "cadenza picarda" - basically the song was in minor, and the last chord (generally the final "Amen") was a major chord, to sound brighter.

I quickly searched this one (warning - 6 mn - you can skip to the end of the song)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgJH4GSs7hQ

Perhaps is not the best example, since the basses are too loud in the final chord, and you need to pay a little attention to find the altos or sopranos (?) doing the major 3rd.

Still, it is an interesting technique.

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Auroran

Quote from: dasilvasings on January 29, 2013, 03:59:09 AMI know the theory, but when we see it in practice, and so perfectly executed, it is still amazing. Good stuff!

In XV-XVIth century polyphony, there was a "composing tool", called something like "cadenza picarda" - basically the song was in minor, and the last chord (generally the final "Amen") was a major chord, to sound brighter.

Commonly known as the "Picardy Third".  Coventry Carol is the textbook example of this.

recorder
Boss BR-800

dasilvasings

QuoteCommonly known as the "Picardy Third".  Coventry Carol is the textbook example of this.

Thanks! I would never guess it!
recorder
Boss Micro BR