Minor to major

Started by Simon M, January 24, 2013, 12:04:21 PM

Simon M

Thought someone would like this. REM Losing My Religion, but upped to a major key. Interesting how the mood of the song totally changes with this. Might be an interesting thing to do with one of my songs maj to min or vice versa. Just thought it was interesting.

http://vimeo.com/57685359

Cheers

Simon

Hilary

I do major to minor quite a lot for my do-down covers - You're the One that I want from Grease springs to mind, but I do it quite a lot so there are many others. I also reverse polarities (major to minor and vice versa) in random chords in songs too.

Here's the link if you want a listen, it was one of my first recordings on here. I've had to reload it, because it was on Soundcloud and I've had a bit of a cull.

https://songcrafters.org/community/index.php?topic=15265.msg190699#msg190699

recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça

cuthbert

That's really cool...I think I like this better than in its original minor key!
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Auroran

Hopefully the session players playing on this song will get paid for this. ;D

recorder
Boss BR-800

cuthbert

Another from the same series:

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Greeny

Prefer the minor versions of both. It just sounds like Alvin and the fucking Chipmunks when they get messed around with.

Hook

Can't deal with the riders on the rainbow! I used to do Margaritaville in minor with a buddy of mine years ago, then peolple started paying me ::).

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

Greeny

Quote from: Greeny on January 25, 2013, 03:51:06 AMIt just sounds like Alvin and the fucking Chipmunks when they get messed around with.

When the songs get messed around with, I mean. What I said sounds like someone 'interfering' with Alvin and the Chipmunks!

Greeny

Quote from: Hook on January 25, 2013, 04:04:07 AMI used to do Margaritaville in minor with a buddy of mine years ago, then peolple started paying me ::).

I'd like to hear that! I quite like Jimmy Buffett. I've also read two of his books (short stories and a novel)... he's a REALLY good writer

cuthbert

I'm not a fan of tampering for its own sake, but I find it very interesting what a difference a semi-tone can make, up or down. So in that respect, I consider these more akin to science projects than art. Practical application of the idea appeals to me more than just subbing all major for minor, though.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase